Cream Legbars

Thanks, I was pretty sure she was a she - I bought her and a Barred Rock because they were sex linked. Now my Rock is crowing day and night and I got a little paranoid about the Legbar because she started chest bumping with some of the other chicks! I will say she is the sweetest most curious and friendly one of the bunch - I would have been heart broken if Eulah was really Eugene!

I bought two chicks from Greenfire lines and I thought they were both pullets. Now, they're about 7 weeks old and one has a much more dominant wattle and comb than the other. I'm not sure if it's a cockarel or if it's just maturing faster than the other. I'm attaching a picture from when they were about 2 weeks old (and it seems like they both have pretty significant female markings) and another picture taken today at 7 weeks. Can anyone let me know if I've got a rooster on my hands?

This is them as 2 week old chicks. They both look like females to me.

This is them today at 7 weeks. The one in front has a much more pronounced comb and wattle---I'm nervous she's a cockarel!

I bought two chicks from Greenfire lines and I thought they were both pullets. Now, they're about 7 weeks old and one has a much more dominant wattle and comb than the other. I'm not sure if it's a cockarel or if it's just maturing faster than the other. I'm attaching a picture from when they were about 2 weeks old (and it seems like they both have pretty significant female markings) and another picture taken today at 7 weeks. Can anyone let me know if I've got a rooster on my hands?

This is them as 2 week old chicks. They both look like females to me.

This is them today at 7 weeks. The one in front has a much more pronounced comb and wattle---I'm nervous she's a cockarel!
You say Greenfire lines, do you mean straight from Greenfire, or from a source that at some point got some stock from Greenfire. I ask because the chick in question does indeed look male, but his coloring is a very poor representation for the breed, he does not show the light colors and barring that a male Cream Legbar has. He reminds me of another cockerel I saw recently on another thread that was purchased from a hatchery, as a pullet but was indeed male and was very dark like your chick as well.

He looks like he had poor auto sexing traits as a chick, my guess is he is the chick to the right in the 2week photo? If so that chick does have female features but to my eye has a male look to him, Was he completely lacking a head spot as a chick?

Last edited:
You say Greenfire lines, do you mean straight from Greenfire, or from a source that at some point got some stock from Greenfire. I ask because the chick in question does indeed look male, but his coloring is a very poor representation for the breed, he does not show the light colors and barring that a male Cream Legbar has. He reminds me of another cockerel I saw recently on another thread that was purchased from a hatchery, as a pullet but was indeed male and was very dark like your chick as well.

He looks like he had poor auto sexing traits as a chick, my guess is he is the chick to the right in the 2week photo? If so that chick does have female features but to my eye has a male look to him, Was he completely lacking a head spot as a chick?
X2

Hopefully it is just female that will have a large floppy comb - but for 7-weeks that one is very male looking. -- Everyone in the USA that has Cream Legbars has them from Greenfire Farms lines -- and in the past year-or-so Greenfire has switched exclusively to Jill Rees birds -- so probably these aren't directly from GFF. If your chicken in question should turn out to be a male -- I hope that your seller has guaranteed them enough to give you a refund. If it was directly from GFF -- they are a very fair organization and would most likely make it right to you.

If you haven't heard any crowing or loud squeaks from them - perhaps it is a female...... comparing the two combs is really a big difference though isn't there? Please keep us posted as they grow out.

Good luck!

I bought them from a woman who hatched eggs from Greenfire---or at least she said.

The weird thing is that both chicks had the dark head spots. Here's a little bit better picture of them as young chicks and you can see the spot.

Both pullets do look a little bit darker in the picture than they actually are. The one that looks like a male is sort of a light gray houndstooth-y color.

Back
Top Bottom