Creamlegbar cross

karint

Songster
May 24, 2019
I was told if I breed my pure creamlegbar hen to my Cochin rooster that their offspring would still be sexable. A little harder to tell but I would be able too. However I can’t find anything online about this so am skeptical. The lady who told me breeds creamlegbar so I’m assuming she would know but don’t want to make a mistake. Has anyone done this before and know how reliable it is.
Picture is of one of the offspring of this mix.

Attachments

• 4F728BDD-96E8-4CE6-A57B-FFDB8F96389E.jpeg
    4F728BDD-96E8-4CE6-A57B-FFDB8F96389E.jpeg
    408.2 KB · Views: 9
I was told if I breed my pure creamlegbar hen to my Cochin rooster that their offspring would still be sexable. A little harder to tell but I would be able too. However I can’t find anything online about this so am skeptical. The lady who told me breeds creamlegbar so I’m assuming she would know but don’t want to make a mistake. Has anyone done this before and know how reliable it is.
Picture is of one of the offspring of this mix.
What color is your Cochin Rooster?

Yes, if he is a solid darker color (not barred or laced)... male offspring should have a white spot on their head and females should not... in typical barred hen crosses for sex linking.

The reason it should work with cream legbar hen is because their color is technically partridge red cuckoo... which is barred. Very reliable in my experience with other breeds using a barred hen.

It is likely a lot easier to tell if you have more than just one chick for comparison... or even just with practice seeing that outcome.

I do see a small white spot... but without any comparison or confirmation, I wouldn't be fully confident in calling that male. :pop

Yes the rooster is a buff Cochin. But I’ve also put a buff Brahma in there.
Will it still work then?

If so your explanation on how to tell is super helpful thanks!!

What color is your Cochin Rooster?

Yes, if he is a solid darker color (not barred or laced)... male offspring should have a white spot on their head and females should not... in typical barred hen crosses for sex linking.

The reason it should work with cream legbar hen is because their color is technically partridge red cuckoo... which is barred. Very reliable in my experience with other breeds using a barred hen.

It is likely a lot easier to tell if you have more than just one chick for comparison... or even just with practice seeing that outcome.

I do see a small white spot... but without any comparison or confirmation, I wouldn't be fully confident in calling that male. :pop

I only have the one chick as it was an extra in my barnyard mix sale and I didn’t know about possibly sexing till after I sold the batch. I have a few more eggs in the incubator hatching right now.

Will it still work then?

Will it still work then?

I’ve attached one more picture of the same chick. Not sure it is helpful but that’s all I have for right now

Attachments

• 9299F9D2-4295-4C1B-854D-06E7837AA289.jpeg
    9299F9D2-4295-4C1B-854D-06E7837AA289.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom