Create a lavender mottled cochin bantam

Rowdytrike

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2022
I've got lavender cochin bantams and lavender cuckoo cochin bantams and black mottled cochin bantams black white spots can I create a lavender mottled cochin bantam I see frizzle mottle lav and orpington lav mottle and chabo lav mottle I'd love to create 1 help me you genetic kings

Black Mottled x Lavender makes all Black offspring all carrying mottling and lavender. Cross those Black offspring to each other and you should get a small number of Lavender Mottled offspring out of them.

Since both lavender and mottling are recessive genes, I don't believe there's any more direct way to get to a variety with both genes expressed.

Black Mottled x Lavender makes all Black offspring all carrying mottling and lavender. Cross those Black offspring to each other and you should get a small number of Lavender Mottled offspring out of them.

Since both lavender and mottling are recessive genes, I don't believe there's any more direct way to get to a variety with both genes expressed.
Will it be best to use lavender cuckoo with barred hen or straight lavender and is it lav roo mottled hen or opposite and are u saying cross the male and female offspring like inbrèeding thanks or cross to parents ie chick hen to roo father thanks

Will it be best to use lavender cuckoo with barred hen or straight lavender and is it lav roo mottled hen or opposite and are u saying cross the male and female offspring like inbrèeding thanks or cross to parents ie chick hen to roo father thanks

Unless you want barring in there as well, it'd be best to just use Black Mottled and Lavender if those varieties are available to you. Barring from the Lavender Cuckoo offers you no benefits and part of your Lavender Mottleds from the second cross would also have barring as a result.

Neither gene is sexlinked, so it doesn't matter if you do Mottled male to Lavender female or Lavender male to Mottled female. Both will have the same result.

Yes, you would cross the siblings together from the first cross. Breeding them back to either parent risks losing the recessive gene that that parent does not have (so you could lose mottling if you breed them back to Lavender, or vice versa), whereas those birds are carrying the genes you want and will produce the variety you're looking for when simply crossed together. Inbreeding in poultry is actually not as bad as many make it out to be, and is a common practice in trying to solidify recessive traits into breeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/inbreeding-not-as-bad-as-it-may-seem.74335/

Unless you want barring in there as well, it'd be best to just use Black Mottled and Lavender if those varieties are available to you. Barring from the Lavender Cuckoo offers you no benefits and part of your Lavender Mottleds from the second cross would also have barring as a result.

Neither gene is sexlinked, so it doesn't matter if you do Mottled male to Lavender female or Lavender male to Mottled female. Both will have the same result.

Yes, you would cross the siblings together from the first cross. Breeding them back to either parent risks losing the recessive gene that that parent does not have (so you could lose mottling if you breed them back to Lavender, or vice versa), whereas those birds are carrying the genes you want and will produce the variety you're looking for when simply crossed together. Inbreeding in poultry is actually not as bad as many make it out to be, and is a common practice in trying to solidify recessive traits into breeds: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/inbreeding-not-as-bad-as-it-may-seem.74335/
Thank you so much that really helps my knowledge

Back
Top Bottom