Creating a pasture from dirt

Lamia1791

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
I live in the high desert in California (Oak Hills/Hesperia area), and I would like to start raising chickens. Problem is, my property is all dirt, so there's no pasture for them.

Have any of you had luck planting pasture from just dirt? Everyone who raises chickens on Youtube lives in very green parts of the country.

Thanks!!!

Well, more often than not, chickens turn their grassy runs into dirt. I don't see a problem in keeping chickens where there's no grass.

Water management will be key. Pasture quality will vary with climate, season and soil quality. Some areas are not as suitable for pasturing chickens where the birds get significant nutrition and the pasture can persist. Arid areas are at bottom of my list with respect to natural productivity unless you can delimit water.

How do you find your state forum?
Thanks!

I don't know how much luck you will have growing pasture in a desert.
Native plantings that the chickens could utilize might be a better.
Have you checked your state thread? Maybe some in your area here on BYC might have some input?
@perchie.girl might have some tips/ideas?

How do you find your state forum?
Thanks!
Yup, what she said.
Looks like this on mobile, where am I where are you.
Look for a active one, some don't get much/any traffic
Screenshot_20180503-014208.png

goto the forums, and on the main page there should an I am here, where are you? And locations by state.

Deep litter management in your run will be your best friend. Do a thread search for that topic, and you will find lots of information. Basically, you create a nice deep compost with varied materials: garden debris, grass clippings, leaves, AGED wood chips, spent coop litter, hay.

Back
Top Bottom