Creating Autosexing EE

Well here are a couple of pictures of my F2 Welbars chicks (1.5 old and day old). Does anyone know anything about them?

The first picture is of my 1.5 week old chicks. When first hatched three of them looked like Welsummers 2 pullet 1 cockerel (middle three) and then two black. One of the blacks though is starting to look like a dark gray barred bird (left).

The second is of chicks hatched out today.

Any suggestions or help?

Hi, Im new here. I currently have silkies and cochins, theyre good pets but Id like something a little more productive. Ive been reading about the autosexing breeds in Europe such as the Legbar and would like to try and create something similar. So here is what Id like to create:

Autosexing

Dual Purpose

Blue Egg Laying

From what Ive read to create an autosexing variety you use a chicken with striped down as a chick such as a partridge variety crossed with a barred bird. Since barred is sex-linked when you continue to cross down the line you will end up with hens that have one copy of the barred gene and roosters with two copies. When they have two copies on the striped base it covers the stripe on the back of their heads so you can tell them apart from the females where the stripe is still visible. Here is a chart I found that shows how to make them.
formulae_for_Gold_Legbar.JPG

I would like them to be good meat birds as well as good egg layers. I would have a hard time eating them but at least there would be a use for the roosters. I think Id have a hard time getting rid of them otherwise. Nobody really wants a chick they know is a rooster/img/smilies/roll.png Anyway, I was thinking of using Easter Eggers and barred Rocks. Would this cross make a good eating chicken? I dont really know what makes a good meat bird. One problem I see is the Rocks are brown egg laying so when crossed with the EE they would be green instead of blue which is ok but I prefer blue. Maybe barred Hollands are a better choice? Does anyone have any suggestion?

If yall think this is a good idea I may start this project this spring. Anyone want to join me? I plan on using hatchery stock since Im not going to be showing them and they will not be a recognized breed anyway. The only advantage I can think of by starting with quality stock is using true araucanas to add a better blue egg color other than that I think hatchery stock would work fine. What do you think? will this work? any more information or suggestion would be awesome. take care

P.S. Just for fun, what do you think they should be called? I like Loxbar since I live in Loxley even though it doesnt come from the original breeds names.

There is also a beautiful strain of auto-sexing EE that lay blue eggs. Jerryse breeds than. No green tints just a pretty blue egg.

at this stage some american cream legbars are semi-autosexing as they get dark males and females with headspot, I suspect an inhibitor of some sort to be running amok on some of this Green Farm lines, the weird thing is that their Rhodebars are 100 percent autosexable, at least all of the chicks I have seen posted in this forum.

how bad is this? source https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...group-standard-of-perfection/280#post_9760639

Dark males(despite being cream) and females with a headspot(its on their SOP). I wanted to get you thoughts on this subject(among other subjects) on the previous page. source https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/409884/creating-autosexing-ee/20#post_10143014
cream legbars are part blue egg laying chicken breed(s),(supposed to be ameraucana), and that effects the auto sexing aspect. There are Legbars that don’t lay blue eggs too.
Also the Bielefelder Kennhuhn chicken is essentially a Welbar. The cuckoo Malines chicken was used along with the Welsummer and barred Plymouth Rock to make the Bielefelder. So the only difference between a Bielefelder and a Welbar is, the Welbar doesn’t have a little Malines chicken in them.
Furthermore you can make a very dark egg laying auto sexing chicken if you use cuckoo marans and welsummers.

Attachments

• A37DE849-959B-46D0-9E70-B83CBF45FE3F.jpeg
    A37DE849-959B-46D0-9E70-B83CBF45FE3F.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 89B00D96-E9E9-45DB-8DC0-F06AD4DF0911.png
    89B00D96-E9E9-45DB-8DC0-F06AD4DF0911.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 6FDE6451-275E-4D63-9E9F-10FAB2B695FC.jpeg
    6FDE6451-275E-4D63-9E9F-10FAB2B695FC.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom