Creating sex links?

OneMountainAcres

Smothered in Feathers
10 Years
May 14, 2013
Central, PA
I have 2 silver penciled rock hens who just came in to lay. I'm going to be throwing some of their eggs in the bator just to see what happens but I was curious if the babies would be sex linked if the father was a black ameraucana?

I have 2 silver penciled rock hens who just came in to lay. I'm going to be throwing some of their eggs in the bator just to see what happens but I was curious if the babies would be sex linked if the father was a black ameraucana?

I don't think they will be. Black sexlinks need a barred (same as cuckoo) hen, and silver penciled are not barred. A silver hen could be used to make a red sexlink, but you need a male that is gold. Lots of black Ameraucanas are gold-based, but the black will make the chicks all extended black (black with white "bibs").

IDK if that cross might be feather sexable using fast / slow feathering.

Agree with the above. If you had a red/gold rooster you could make some interesting partially pencilled red sex links, but that black is going to hide pretty much everything on the babies.

Agree with the above. If you had a red/gold rooster you could make some interesting partially pencilled red sex links, but that black is going to hide pretty much everything on the babies. 

That's something interesting to think about seeing as how my son's little rhode island red "pullet" is looking very much like a young roo and if I have some usage for him, then I won't have to worry about explaining to him why we can't keep his bird lol.

Back
Top Bottom