Creating the chicken coop & run...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Chickadee93, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Got to work yesterday on fixing up the old dog kennel in the backyard. Hasn't been used in years and weeds started growing up thru the tiles...really wish I took some pix before, it's already looking better and more like it could be used for chickens..

Current plan for today is level the tiles, and clean some more, maybe fix up the A-frame on top a little bit. Then I'll have to put some concrete in between some of the gaps in the tile, buy a ton of chicken wire/hardware cloth to go around the chain link, plus we are making a separate area to the back so the chicks have access to grass. Plus I have to make a temp. home for the chicks and collect everything needed for thier arrival..which should be either this Wednesday or the next....depending on how much progress I make.

So here come the pics...

The whole structure:
    [​IMG]

The tile that needs some serious work...(to be tackled today [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

A-frame for holding a tarp...will be used to keep the chickies dry during bad weather- no snow for them! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The coop will go here, upper right corner:
    [​IMG]

The space of green behind the run is going to be fenced in and planted with russian olive bushes, tall grasses, and other foliage.
    [​IMG]

2. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I like it, Good idea! [​IMG]

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Great structure to start with! [​IMG] I'd skip the concrete between the pavers and put sand between them instead, it'll be easier, cheaper and drain better.

4. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Hmm... I do have some gravel laying around... that would work right? Then I wouldn't have to go out and buy more stuff.[​IMG]

5. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Looks like ur off to a good start. Great ideas...I like the greenery plans. [​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Hmm... I do have some gravel laying around... that would work right? Then I wouldn't have to go out and buy more stuff.[​IMG]

Sand can often be found for free (you'd only need a couple 5 gal buckets), I'm not sure how the gravel would be for the chooks' feet. What is the average diameter of the gravel? I would also think about covering the run with wire.

7. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Quote:Not sure on the exact diameter but the biggest pieces are about this wide: ---

Plus it's only for in between the gaps so they wouldn't be constantly walking on it. In the pictures you can see some of the larger spaces that need to be filled in.

8. Gallo del Cielo

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Not sure on the exact diameter but the biggest pieces are about this wide: ---

Plus it's only for in between the gaps so they wouldn't be constantly walking on it. In the pictures you can see some of the larger spaces that need to be filled in.

That would probably work. [​IMG] I'd be concerned with larger pieces that they'd have to walk on all the time.

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You could build a low, sandbox frame around the run and fill it with a couple of inches of sand on top of those pavers. Chickens will be happier if they have something to scratch in (plus it will be easier on their feet). And...it will be much easier to keep the run clean. You can scoop out the poop and leave the sand behind with one of these:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/13167/product.web

I duct taped mine to a long wooden handle so I wouldn't have to stoop down. Works great.

10. Chickadee93

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    Thanks for the posts guys! Got some good ideas from them, a lot of work was done yesterday. Had some friends over, and we leveled like crazy...looks WAYYY better now.

Beginning to remove the bricks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pile of bricks growing...
    [​IMG]

We leveled...it took 2 very heavy bags of topsoil, then began putting the bricks back:
    [​IMG]

Then I saw this dented pipe..
    [​IMG]
    In an attempt to fix it, the A-frame decided to fall (on ME) and was deemed unfit for use...so it was reduced to a pile of rubble.
    No biggie...they can't be that hard to make.
    [​IMG]

But it all paid off.. resulting in some very level tiles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today's agenda is to plan the coop and create the brooder. Too tired and sore for anything else [​IMG] I went to sleep while the sun was still up yesterday, which is unheard of for me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by