Creative coop sugestions

TylerMcM

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2013
A little background for me. I have about 4 years of raising chicken experience. All in Appalachia. I now live on Big Island Hawaii (where there IS a such thing as free chicken!).

My question is this, how would you design a coop for your birds if you had no worries of predators or cold temperatures?

A little background for me. I have about 4 years of raising chicken experience. All in Appalachia. I now live on Big Island Hawaii (where there IS a such thing as free chicken!).

My question is this, how would you design a coop for your birds if you had no worries of predators or cold temperatures?
You might consider also asking this on the Hawaii group thread! Hawaii weather is so varied especially on the Big Island! Definitely lots of ventilation and shade if you are on the Kona side. I will let others with more experience in Hawaii help you out though! Would be nice to design without fear of predators! Good luck! 👍🏻

I would want them to stay home, for other chickens to stay out, and to have a way to stay out of the rain if they wanted. Or at least, for me and their feed to stay out of the rain.

So, the "coop" would be fence with a roof over it. There would be one wall toward the prevailing winds consisting of a storage closet for feed, bedding, and equipment. Possibly a second wall at right angles for when rain comes from another direction. Possibly, the second wall would be panels that retracted beside each other to essential make that an optional wall.

It would have at least two roosts - one along the storage wall and the other away from the storage wall. Possibly a third roost away from the storage wall and at a different angle. The second and/or third roosts might not be under the roof.

It would have a dirt floor with deep litter for bedding.

The roof would be high enough for me to walk under and have wide eaves. It would be big enough to keep me and twice or three times the expected number of chickens dry in at least 90% of the rain storms expected.

The "run" would be a fenced area, as big as possible and have clutter to ease flock dynamics.

This is fun to consider.

Edit to add: the roof would be either monitor or half monitor. Monitor would work better but half monitor should work well enough and blend into the local architecture styles better.

And some nests.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom