Creator of the Labradoodle has major regrets...

A mute by any other name is still a mutt.

Me I am all about mutts.

But I ain't paying no money for any dog, when I can go to the local rescue/animal control, pay a minimal fee (less than $50 and it is used to spay or nueter your pet) and get me a dog that really needs me.

i dispise the breeding of designer dogs, it's a money making racket that serves no other purpose, the same with commercial breeders of purebreds, i have a 12 year old pug/boston terrier mix that was an accident between my friends 2 dogs, now they are selling them as buggs for $800, that's insane, studies have showed that when they are crossong these dogs no real hybrid vigor is happening, these dogs still suffer from the same diseases purebreds get, i rant and rave about using a reputable dog breeder, be aware of fancy websites, never buy from pet stores they will lie and tell you these dogs come from local breeders bull!@#$, watch the videos of prisoners of greed, i have certain criteria that people have to pass to get one of my puppies, i sell my pet puppies on spay/neuter contracts and limited registration, i have refused many people, i take this seriously because i care about my dogs and will take a dog that i have sold back at any stage of their lives, i only breed for my next show dog and that's maybe once a year, education about this is what people need, to many dogs are killed and tortured everyday

HOLY COW. The prices you all are paying are outrageous!!!!

I paid $55 for Marley (purebred Lab claims our vet, but I think there's Bloodhound in there somewhere), he was neutered, all shots and has a microchip! GAH!

Those prices are nuts.

We fostered for a breed rescue and the prices to adopt were the same as we paid for our akc registered shiba. I wouldn't trade my registered dogs for all the dogs we fostered and rescued if they were free. It's a huge difference to get a good dog from a good breeder and raise it well versus even an older puppy with an unknown background and parents that might have temperament issues. All the fosters and free dogs we took in annoyed us greatly and caused more trouble than raising 2 puppies of breeds known to be difficult.

Quote:
OOh, believe me, it will happen..
i bet there are tons in lab rescues already...

hide.gif
I have a doodle...
hide.gif

No, I didn't pay a million bucks for him. He came from a family, here in town. I didn't mind giving them a couple hundred bucks. I looked at local shelters for months and only found older dogs. I wanted a large breed puppy. My guy is the best dog I have ever had. His temperament is OUTSTANDING. The gals at my vet's office rave about him. I think I could have gotten a nice dog anywhere, but it is hard to find situations where you can visit with both the sire & the dam and see how they behave.

22501_008.jpg

I think the issue is that there are always these crazes and the crazies that have to have what they see on T.V.

I didn't see it coming that the guy's major concern was going to be about such things as breeding standards. When I saw the title of the article, I really thought the guy's regret was going to be that since the labradoodle (indeed the entire designer dog) craze filled the 'vaccuum' in many homes, countless shelter dogs went unadopted and lost their lives. Kind of like when people don't spay/neuter cats and they have litters and those babies are adopted out, displacing potential homes for the homeless ones on the streets or in shelters.

(It's a relatively small percentage of folks who get certain of these designer dogs (aka mutts!) for understandable hypoallergenic reasons.)

Thanks for sharing this article - very interesting. They sure are cute - no doubt about that!
JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
But did your pup's breeder have the appropriate genetic testing done, such as OFA and CERF? Labradors are very prone to developing hip dysplasia, so the CERF is especially important for them. Testing like this to avoid issues later in life is one of the primary reasons to go through a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom