creepy people

HarlansHollowFarms: You seem like a caring person with good intent, but your comments seem so naive.

First of all, people tend to be creeped out by things they don't understand and most of the time with people that will be the homeless and mentally ill. I think that physically disabled people come under a different catagory that do not creep us out; very different. Sometimes its hard to tell the difference between the 'disturbing' kid at WalMart from the true 'creep' that means to do you harm. Let me tell you two creep stories; one happened to me and one to someone I work with. I'll try to be brief.

I had a music scholarship to college in the mid. '70s. I hated orchestra because I had to move my chair back so the 'creepy' guy would not stare at me. He got to the point that he would move his chair so that he could stare. Let me tell you, it was more than creepy. It actually made me sick at my stomach, but I never complained; I was polite to him. I, too had been raised to feel sorry for people that were 'different'. About 6 wks into the semester, the doorbell rang at my apartment (I lived alone) and it was that guy. Now mind you, I lived at least 7 miles from the college. As I opened the door, he walked inside and sat down. I stood at the door, shocked and said "how did you know where I live?" And he said "I've been following you home for a few weeks so I decided to come see you." God looks out for those of us that are stupid and at that very moment, my boyfriend drove up. As he walked to the door (looking at me like 'what are you doing with the door wide open) he saw the guy sitting inside. As I started to introduce him, the creepy guy got up and left without saying a word. I think I shook for about an hour. Now, call it what you want, but to me; that was CREEPY!

Now, the point here is that I used to think a lot like you. You can't help everybody that needs help. If your instincts tell you that something is wrong, it probably is. Don't ever sacrifice your wellbeing for fear of hurting someone's feelings. Your wellbeing is far more important.

Next creepy story and this one is tragic. We'll call her my friend. Her husband worked 2 wks on/2 wks off and on her way home, stopped at a bar where some of her friends were. A guy asked her to dance and she did, but he held her too close and she got 'those vibes'. He asked her to dance a few more times and she declined. She saw his van as she was leaving the parking lot, alone...but had to be hypnotized to remember it. As she was driving home, the guy hit her car from behind. Just a hard bump. She pulled over and stomped on the brake. The guy stopped too and parked behind her. She rolled down her window to yell at him and in a flash he was standing at the window with a knife to her throat and told her to turn off the car and get out. Luckilly, she was furious. But she realized that if she did what he told her that no one would ever see her again so she had the presence of mind to grab the knife with one hand, put the car in reverse and gun it to disable his van. This action, of course, shocked him; he ran for the van and got away. He was caught the next day and admitted to killing several other women who's bodies were never found. He truly was a serial killer. He chose his victims carefully; they were all very thin, tiny women. He installed septic tanks for a living and apparently had been stuffing the bodies in new tanks before installation. Bacteria in septic systems eats everything; no evidence left after several months.

These are true stories. There are creepy people and there are creepy people. Learn to take care of yourself. Its OK to believe in the best in people, but trust your instincts.

I had a stalker and after the whole horrid ordeal, I am very cautious who I am nice to now. I was running duty one afternoon as an EMT when we got a call for a man who was having a possible heart attack. My paramedic and I got him in the ambulance, our driver got us to the hospital, he was stable and that was that. A few days later I realized he was on the hospital floor where I worked part time so I went in to see how he was doing. He seemed sad and told me how he was being discharged that day and no one came to pick him up, he didn't know how he was going to get home and had no money. So, against my better judgment, and because he lived a few miles down the road from me, I told him I would take him home after I got off shift...I wish someone had slapped me with a 2x4.

Long story short, soon as he got in my truck, he started touching me till I told him to STOP that I have a very large, sharp shooter husband. He said some inappropriate things, he was sexually suggestive, rude, and I couldn't get him home and out of my truck fast enough. I gave his friend instructions how to take care of him, said my good byes and figured that was the end of him. Wrong! Several weeks later, he somehow got my address and started to send very inappropriate letters, then the phone calls started. I went to the town police, they said they couldn't do anything as he hadn't come to my farm nor harmed me and to ignore it, he will stop. It didn't till I got very curt on the phone and got that stopped. He was always in town where I went so i started to shop and go to the other town a half hour away just to get away from him, he was calling my work to see if I was there, etc..

My rescue squad chief, who was also a police officer found out this man had a 4 page rap sheet, you name it that scum had done it. I also found out he had been going to my horse shows and staying in the back watching me, as draft shows are easy to find, there are not a lot. He did this for 2 years. This man is the reason I now have a concealed carry permit and do carry a weapon when I am out alone or out riding or driving my horses. He is the reason I have locked gates at the end of my driveway at night, why I changed my phone numbers and am cautious and alert at all times. No good deed goes unpunished.

So, some of you may think giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, but this ole gal learned a valuable lesson the hard way. I rarely help people anymore and when I do, am very selective in who it is.

Quote:
I am not naive at all, I just believe most people over react to 'creepy' people. Instincts are definatly something to rely on, however going over board and yelling and threatening people because they are different, I think, is uncalled for.
I have met some very strange folks in my lifetime, harmless, but none the less strange, I have also met some that have since been sent to prison for heiness acts...those are the ones who appeared quite normal, not strange at all.
I just do not like to label people,lacking their entire story.

I'm sorry but when did someone say that they yelled at people who appeared creepy?

Just because someone looks creepy is no reason to start screaming at them. Actually...it might tick them off even more. Not a smart move in my book.

HarlansHollowFarms; I meant no disrespect.

By your comments, you seem young to me. I have lots of experience dealing with people and I'm really good at spotting the ones to leave alone. Just remember that some 'creepy' people mistake kindness for weakness so just don't let them think that about you.

The world is full of creepiness and insanity......I love rasing chicken..nuf said:
ya.gif

Harlan's Hollow doesn't sound naive or young to me...just...nice.

To some people, 'creepy' means a guy who gives a female unwanted attention. To others, it means a person who is minding his own business, but looks odd (I call those people 'neighbors'). To others, it means a criminal looking for a victim.

I think she was referring to people who simply look or act a little different. The world is not usually kind to such people and I think that was her point. Anyone who is the least bit different gets ridiculed, looked down on, whispered about. Anyone who's untidy or disorganized looking, old clothes, etc. People who stare, people who sit doing nothing, people who talk to themselves, people who have odd gestures.

We had my friend's son at the house overnight when they were out of town. He has schizophrenia. He was absolutely lovely. She explained that staring is something he just does, he doesn't realize he's doing it. He also talks to himself. She said he gets confused about what is going on and talks to himself to sort it out. We knew when he first got sick, before they figured out what was going on, he did some odd things - he completely disassembled their dryer, for example. I mean down to nuts and bolts.

Asperger's people needing a definite no to not hang around - but all men need a definite no from a woman when they won't go away. However Aspergers itself should not really be a turn-off for a woman, varies in how much it affects a person, and in how it affects a person. My friend's husband has it, you would not be able to tell, he was not diagnosed til he was 45. The only think you might notice is he gets started on his favorite subject (he's a gricer). Others are affected more than him. Many have a very hard time understanding social cues, might have trouble starting or ending conversations, knowing what is appropriate to say or not say, etc.

Re dealing with criminals - the incidents above are frightening because of the victim's putting themselves in a vulnerable position.

Never give an unknown man a ride.

NEVER open the door to someone you don't know. NEVER let an unknown person into your house or apartment.

And...yes, bars are often dangerous places. Park in a lighted place right in front of the bar in full sight of many people, lock your car, go in a group, and choose the bar very, very carefully. Bars are places where criminals hang out looking for easy victims, so please think very carefully about where you go.

Last edited:
The bottom line is:
Who cares what others think? I mean really.. its YOUR life..
If YOU get a bad vibe from someone...Its ALWAYS best to just follow your gut...
Many folks have been very very sorry that they didnt. If they are even alive today to tell you about it...
Who cares if you are over exaggerating it... or wrong about the feeling...
At least you'll get to live another day..
Where as Nancy nice girl may get a nasty suprise one night from some creep that she didnt want to hurt his feelings...
I could care less about hurting feelings or being nice... really.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom