creepy people

There is a old guy who comes to the coffee shop where I meet my family in the mornings and he comes with his wife.He pays way too much attention to the children wanting hugs and such.My grandchildren won't go near him they are intuitive kids I have warned my nephews wife but she doesn't seem to get it.
Someone here stated they don't get creeped out. I say your survival instinct needs tuning.Getting creeped out is our body telling us there is something to be wary of.

As I said and which seems to be willfully ignored, there is a big difference between 'not getting creeped out' and letting a strange man get into your car! One does not indicate the other!

AND...general suspiciousness or lack of trust(what you're advocating), and hunches, are far, far more dangerous to rely on than being able to identify real situations where crimes occur. Why? Energy is wasted on lack of trust and suspiciousness, it should be spent observing carefully and learning where crimes occur.

I don't get 'creeped out' very often at all(and if I did, I would compare it to the real risk), but I ALSO don't park my car in a dark alley next to a bar or let a stranger into my apartment!

Personally, I think it is FAR more dangerous to rely on some vague 'creep radar' or 'hunch' instead of learning where and how crimes are committed and preparing and protecting yourself!

Frankly, the main reason I think I have never been seriously harmed is that I DON'T rely on 'creep radar', but on facts and statistics and information. I avoid situations where crimes occur. For example? An adult male 'uncle' or 'friend' who likes to play with my children and wants to baby sit them all the time? HELLLOOOOO...Parking a car in a dark place by a bar? HELLLOOO.

So here is a person who 'doesn't get 'creeped out'' but also, doesn't even sit down in a RESTAURANT unless she can park her car in a well lit, highly trafficed area RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RESTAURANT!!!

In fact, I would challenge you to compare your safety practices to mine. I don't rely on hunches, I analyze where risk is and I avoid it. When I am exposed to risk it is a CHOICE, KNOWING THE RISKS, such as stopping at an accident and getting out of my car...but I darn well better see someone on the ground and bleeding and bones sticking out of their leg, AND thinking that I even know what to do for them(ie, I am a doctor or EMT and I have my stuff with me), otherwise I need to stay out of the way anyway! Otherwise I am going to floor it and call 911 to report an accident.

I prefer to rely on something much more reliable than 'creep radar', which I think is FAR MORE likely to lead a person to ignore a dangerous situation.

So? The old guy who publicly hugs kids a lot? Depends, but probably not too concerned...unless he shows up at my house and offers to 'entertain' the children while I'm gone!

One thing I learned about child molesters, your 'creep radar' totally ignores. Most of them, the child will come to THEM...they act almost totally passive to the observer, and the child crawls all over THEM. They get the child to do that in very, very subtle ways. Not the obvious.

I would far far more suspicous of an adult (male OR Female, by the way and any age, by the way) who the kid runs to and crawls all over in an odd way, than the one who reaches out for a hug in a public place...but again, 'it depends'.

Last edited:
People, I had no intention of turning this into a discussion about mentally challenged people. My thought of creepy was of someone that makes your skin crawl maybe because of the sound of their voice, or the fact that they are just too clingy. Nothing to do with their mental stability.

There is a person that calls where I work or comes by, we purchase drills from his company, just him walking in the door makes me creep out. He is a nice fellow, but just something about him bothers me.

Last edited:
I have mentioned to my DH and DS that if I ever go missing, look towards the pest control guy first......nice enough person but just gives me a shiver on a deeper level....

I guess I haven't really gotten creeped out here lately, but there are people that I meet that I don't trust, I don't scare easily. I know who to tell my children to stay away from, whether it's another child, or a certain adult.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Well said!

By the way, I am 48 years old, and have been around the world meeting many different types of people/ I am in line with Welsummerchicks, has I tend not to put myself in potentialy dangerous situations.

Never judge a BYC thread by it's topic !

This is great reading.

I'm of the view that life is easier when you do judge books by their cover.
If the cover interests you you'll know in the first few chapters if it's going to be good, if not then dump it.
If you keep going to half way and then find you don't like it, dump it.
If you get all the way to end and you don't like it, dump it.
If you get all the way to the end and you do like it, well done, your judgement was right.

For all those books you never even opened, well hey, some of them might've been good right to the end, but it's not going kill you to not have read them and you haven't wasted your entire life starting something that you already thought you wouldn't like.

That sort of goes for people and relationships too - you might have missed Mr/Mrs Right because they had a cover you didn't like but imagine how many Mr/Mrs Wrongs you'd have gotten through if you ignored your feelings about the cover. I know it's not true of everyone but the effort to read every 'book' to find a good one is just too much, find one you like the look of first then see if it's any good inside. Avoid the ones you take an immediate dislike to, someone else will like them probably.

Creepy people - Oh yes, but rarely are they women - odd that ! Is being creepy a men-only club ?

^No doubt on that one... my Sis's Ex's Sister is a radar tripper big time... sounds like rumor I know, but we did used to live next door to her... or, rather her parents who she was living with on and off... drug user, unstable, multiple criminal charges. Not "mental" really, but some VERY bad choices in life... and all done right in front of her two girls. She does give me the willies, the twitching, mouth working, hunting OTHER people's skin for pimples OCD drug behavior creeps me out... but so do all those charges she's been convicted of... So, YEAH... mine know to steer clear of "Aunt Carrie"

Wel, agree completely... you can't totally depend on your instincts/hunches because frankly humans have evolved pretty far away from them... paying attention to your surroundings consciously can save your life... rather like the difference between hand/lips on the forehead vs an actual thermometer to determine if your child is ill... hand might work... might not... but even if it does it isn't very accurate.

Back
Top Bottom