Crest/Crown

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by trudigale, Jun 27, 2011.

1. trudigale

trudigale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas
    Hi,

I have 7 peachicks all hatched within minutes of each other on June 10..... several have the "little bump" appearing on the top of the head ...... while the others don't have it yet. Does this indicate a female vs male? I know all grown peafowl have this crest but wondered if the early appearance of one means a certain sex.

Thanks!
    Trudi

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It's not an indicator that i know of the others will catch up soon and then one will probably pluck it off [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I hate it when they pull each others off. Like Zaz said it is not know to be an indicator.

4. trudigale

trudigale Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Kansas
    Ok - seriously - the other peachicks pull the "crest" off!?!?!? Is there anything I should do when this happens? Does it bleed???

Goodness..... the things I learn! [​IMG]

Trudi

5. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Yep they pluck it right out and it takes months to grow back .
    This fella in the photo is finely growing his back for the second time.

Don't worry never heard of a pea to die from lossing its crest ,don't think it hurts um but i never asked them [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I find it happens to the lighter colored birds (whites and Black shoulder hens) more for some reason.

7. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    Quote:Great those are the only breeds of peahens I have [​IMG]

8. zazouse

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    My white hen has never had her crest plucked and only one of my Ib hens have had her crest plucked once when she was 2 months old.
    I think it has something to do with pecking order but who really knows for sure [​IMG]

I see my hens grooming my other males crest all the time but never see them pluck anything.

The male in the above photo was plucked by the pied hen i purchased with him, she is 3 he is 20 months, he tries to woo her with his pretty ways but as soon as he turns his back she pecks him on the rear and messes up his mojo [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by