Crest/Crown

trudigale

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Kansas
Hi,

I have 7 peachicks all hatched within minutes of each other on June 10..... several have the "little bump" appearing on the top of the head ...... while the others don't have it yet. Does this indicate a female vs male? I know all grown peafowl have this crest but wondered if the early appearance of one means a certain sex.

Thanks!
Trudi

It's not an indicator that i know of the others will catch up soon and then one will probably pluck it off
lau.gif

004-3-1-1.jpg

Ok - seriously - the other peachicks pull the "crest" off!?!?!? Is there anything I should do when this happens? Does it bleed???

Goodness..... the things I learn!
smile.png

Trudi

Yep they pluck it right out and it takes months to grow back .
This fella in the photo is finely growing his back for the second time.

Don't worry never heard of a pea to die from lossing its crest ,don't think it hurts um but i never asked them
lau.gif

DSC00048-1.jpg

My white hen has never had her crest plucked and only one of my Ib hens have had her crest plucked once when she was 2 months old.
I think it has something to do with pecking order but who really knows for sure
big_smile.png

I see my hens grooming my other males crest all the time but never see them pluck anything.

The male in the above photo was plucked by the pied hen i purchased with him, she is 3 he is 20 months, he tries to woo her with his pretty ways but as soon as he turns his back she pecks him on the rear and messes up his mojo
lau.gif

DSC00065.jpg

Back
Top Bottom