Crested ducks the whole Picture

Vet said it is like an abcess but it does not drain....will call the original Vet today to see what she advises.

The first time I ever saw a duck with a crest, was in a feed store. It was absolutely adorable.
The fact is that crest on a duck is a mutation. The mutation is associated with skull deformities. The deformity is a gap in the skull filled in with fatty tissue.

Many of these unfortunate chicks die in the shell before fully developing. The "Crest" is not so appealing here. It looks like what it really is. An unfortunate mutilation of what nature had first made perfect.

I think if people knew the truth about the crested trait they might realize it is really irresponsible to purposely breed for the trait. We should be doing all we can to eliminate the trait completely. And we could if we knew how it is transmitted and understoud the problems it can cause in the duck population.

Here is a quote from Hollerread's book Raising Ducks:

"Crests in ducks are caused by what is often described as an incompletely dominant autosomal semi-lethal allele, which has highly variable expressivity and, sometimes, incomplete penetrance. Theoretically, when two ducks with crests are mated together, approximately one quarter of there embryos (those homozygous for the crest allele) die in the shell or after hatching. Of those that survive, approximately two-thirds will be heterozygous for the crest allele and one-third will be homozygous for the wild type (no crest). In those that carry the allele for crest the head adornment may range from being totally invisible to measuring 5 or more inches in diameter."

So, this trait is caused by a genetic mutation, where one crested duck will hatch out of every 100,000 to 1,000,000 eggs hatched. That is the naturally occurring mutation that will produce a crested duck from the naturally occurring genetic mutation. So, if we just agree not to use any crested duck for breeding purposes we can just about eliminate the trait (except for the one in 100,000 to 1,000,000 eggs that occur naturally). Who would purposely breed for the crested trait when they understand that one fourth of the eggs their ducks lay will suffer from a lethal mutation? And on top of that, some of those that don't appear to be crested actually are carriers of the gene but just don't express a crest large enough for it to be apparent.

Holleread also states:

"Ducks that carry the crested allele are susceptible to neurological abnormalities (which may be apparent at hatching time or not until months later) and to skeletal deformities (kinked necks, shortened bodies, roached backs, wry tails)". So it actually effects more than just the crest on their head, but can have negative physical effects as well.

Below is a punnet square showing the results of the mating of a crested duck with a crested drake. The red squares show the one fourth of the eggs that would carry the leathal homozygous conditions. The yellow squares indicates the two third of the hatched eggs that would be crested ducks and carry the crested gene. The blue shows the one third of the hatched eggs that would be normal and not affected by the crested gene.

Crested X Crested

Cr

cr
Cr

CrCr

Crcr​
cr

Crcr

crcr​

Below represents a punnet square the is the result of the mating of a crested with a normal, non-crested bird. You can see that with this combination you theoretically don't get any of the lethal individuals. Further, fifty percent of the eggs hatched should be crested and fifty percent would be normal, non-crested. However, as Hollerreads tells us, many of these crested birds have other genetic and physical problems as mentioned above. So, while you avoid the lethal situation, you still are possibly passing on problems that your birds shouldn't have to be suffering with just to see a few cute little crested ducks waddling around. Still amounts to irresponsible breeding even though you are avoiding the lethal condition.

Crested X normal​

cr

cr
Cr

Crcr

Crcr​
cr

crcr

crcr​

Last edited:
Kevin I LOVE your quote by the way.....When all the trees have been cut down,"..... etc.

I had no real opinion about Crested Ducks until I bought some call duck eggs. They said there was a "rare chance that I might get a crested."

In reality There is gene in crested ducks is linked to a lethal outcome during incubation. Ducklings carrying both genes (both parents having a crest) die in their shells before they get a chance to hatch. (some with their brains on the outside of their skull)

When breeding a crested to a non-crested, they have estimated percentages of; Those who will not have crests, will have crests, those that will die during incubation, and the ones who will die after hatching.

I can not find photos depicting what this lethal allele actually looks like in the embryonic, or the chick stages. So I think it would be good to show members considering on incubating or breeding crested ducks the sad truth.

I have pictures of some of this. I can post these if anyone else sees the need to expose these heart breaking truths. If I had any idea, I would never have gotten any of them. If any make it to hatch, I won't breed them.
Just want to clarify a point here..... Yes, the trait is caused by a genetic mutation. But that mutation only occurs naturally in one out of every 100,000 to 1,000,000 eggs hatched. But when a hatchery makes the statement that you might receive eggs and/or birds that carry the crested mutation, that can only come from their irresponsible breeding practices. They are using birds from lines known to carry the gene in their breeding program, rather than culling birds from their breeding program that produce crested offspring. I suggest avoiding hatcheries that tell you up front that you could recieve crested birds. If they were conscientious breeders they would guaranty no crested birds.

Just looking at your genetic outcomes, It seems like if you had one crested duck in with your flock, It wouldn't take long to be over run by the crested. Is this right?

That would mean that breeders of crested ducks would be breeding both parents with crests. That might account for only 7 viable eggs out of 18? Out of those 4 were crested.
Really gets me thinking.

Does anyone know if this embryo was crested? I think it is, but I have nothing normal to compare it with.

I really thought she was lying about the crested thing. I had no idea until they started quitting. I will never buy like that again! The whole thing was heartbreaking. The only good that may come from it is education others, bring those statistics to apply in real life, so people won't want to repeat my mistake.

Just looking at your genetic outcomes, It seems like if you had one crested duck in with your flock, It wouldn't take long to be over run by the crested. Is this right?

That would mean that breeders of crested ducks would be breeding both parents with crests. That might account for only 7 viable eggs out of 18? Out of those 4 were crested.
Really gets me thinking.

Does anyone know if this embryo was crested? I think it is, but I have nothing normal to compare it with.
If you have one crested duck and a normal drake, then 50 percent of her eggs will be crested and 50 percent normal. But if your drake is crested, then 50 percent of all the eggs of all your ducks he mates with will be crested. So yes, it doesn't take long.

So instead of 18 lets use 20 eggs. Five would be non-viable, 10 wold be crested, and 5 would be normal non crested. You would get two thirds of the eggs that hatched that are crested. So yes, you would be over run by crested ducks in no time.

Back
Top Bottom