crested... maybe blue swedish?

Quote:
I am pretty sure they are female Welsh Harlequinns......some of THE most gorgeous ducks, in my opinion......and I don't even have any!

we've decided they're too big for welshies... they're almost the size of my cayugas and bigger than my rouen hens - although they've got the dark bills which is typical for welshies, and a fault in appleyards. they do have the appleyard eye-stripe which the welsh harlequins don't have.

it's possible that even though we bought them as appleyards they are a mix of the two - they didn't come from a show breeder, so they may have just bred for utility and not for show standard coloration.

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking too. He's really pretty! I wish their was a breed that color.

that thought crossed my mind.
there's some folks on here who really know duck color genetics. maybe I'll pick their brains and see if we can come up with a strategy for breeding steel-gray blue headed crested extra large ducks...
big_smile.png

I have to wonder, looking at the picture, if they are crosses between Welsh Harlequins and Silver Appleyards - at the distance they look smaller and you can't see the stripe on the face. I wish I could see the ducks themselves! Sorry about my wishy washiness! Get some good Appleyards next year and you'll know!

Quote:
definitely face stripes. definitely rouen sized.
hey!
I've got Silver Apple Harleyards!
or maybe they're Welsh Applequins...
er, Welsh Apple Silveryards...
um, Silver Applequin Harleyards...

ok, whatever they are, I'm liking them. Maybe I should breed them. I can go with that.

how long do you have to be at this before you can get a breed recognized?
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom