Crested pekin can't see

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by badenglisch, Nov 18, 2018.

1. badenglisch

badenglisch In the Brooder

Oct 23, 2018
    One of my pekin's crests is a little bit wild and unruly and almost completely covers one of her eyes. Is our best bet to just catch her and trim it back? IMG_1702.jpg IMG_1705.jpg

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Making Coffee

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would.

3. MissChick@dee

MissChick@dee Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Yep couldn’t hurt. I trimmed my EE tuffs. She’s better at seeing food but....she still backs up a lot :th

4. Abriana

Abriana Sugar Cookie

People trim back their polish chicken’s crests because they get eaten by predators if you don’t—they just can’t see. They also put them up in ponytails but I’ve heard that they fall out. I would trim if I were you! She’s really pretty and cute by the way :)

5. badenglisch

Oct 23, 2018
    I thought about doing a pony tail, which i think would look awesome , but I'd be worried about it falling out and one of them eating it. I get nervous with the scissors that close to her eye, so i think I'll need to be the holder and let hubby trim. She won't be one bit happy about it either

happy duck, Miss Lydia and Abriana like this.
  6. Abriana

Abriana Sugar Cookie

Yeah if they eat it it wouldn’t be good! And it would be a good idea to have somebody imobilize her head for you.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

She may get up set wrap in a towel to immobilize those wings I bet once your finished she’ll be so happy to see. She is a cute and we want to see the bangs trim when done:pop

badenglisch likes this.
  8. MissChick@dee

MissChick@dee Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Just a suggestion. When I trim I twisted as much as I could get a hold of and just cut at the base of the twist. One cut. Quick and you’ll know you didn’t get skin. Not the prettiest but effective. :cool:

9. Savager

Savager In the Brooder

Nov 14, 2018
    I have a crested with one to the side, not as bad as that. Had some stray feathers that would get in her face. I would cut it but be careful and only cut what's necessary because in my ducks at least, the feathers are very dense so you don't want to catch it's skin.

badenglisch and Miss Lydia like this.
  10. badenglisch

Oct 23, 2018
    Thank you for the advice everyone! I'm nervous about trimming, I'd hate to go too short and hurt her. We tried once before and i was pretty conservative and didn't really end up cutting that much. I have this image in my head of it being like cutting a dog's nail too short lol

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: