***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
I do have an issue, tho. I know that being from a hatchery, the quality will suffer. Are white face spots explainable by that?
I'm not sure on that but makes since...ours has some also. These are some new pics taken today. We're guessing she's around 4 to 6 weeks
now.

I'm not sure on that but makes since...ours has some also. These are some new pics taken today. We're guessing she's around 4 to 6 weeks

now.

I would definitely say 5 week range. Yours appears to be about a little younger than mine, by a week or less. Mine is just 6 weeks old today.

Putting them eith friendlier birds does tend to help. The crevs wouldn't use their nest box no matter where I put it, even over their ground nest spot. They'd just dig another hole to lay in. Two days after putting a calm Russian Orloff pullet in with them and SHE taught them to use the nest box! Months later I took out the RO (she had been overmated and needed to grow back feathers- the gentleness of the crev cockerel was why this arrangement worked) and it was back to ground eggs.

About the white spots- mine are hatchery too, the LF pullet had a perfect circle white spot in her crest that grew out as she matured.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear
smile.png

I'm flying out tomorrow and will be away from my little Nicol for a week. I can't wait to see how she'll have grown when I get back
ep.gif

Hey everyone... so I am wanting to work on the Crevecoeur breed and hope to eventually get it closer to the standard. It is my understanding the the gene pool for crevecoeur is quite shallow. After doing some research on the history of the breed it appears as though it was developed by crossing the Dorking with another French fowl. Right now I am thinking that if I select out the best crev I can and bring in some Dorking blood it might help. Any thoughts from breeders out there?

I would definitely say 5 week range. Yours appears to be about a little younger than mine, by a week or less. Mine is just 6 weeks old today.

I'm hoping she will get a little thicker like yours...we let all of our chickens free range during the day. If our Crev and Barred find something good to eat the rest of our bossy girls will come and push them out. We have to seperate them from the rest of the flock when we give them treats or they won't have a chance.

Spread the wing in a pic of the chicks- from what little I can see in the top pic I think that chick may be a female:) Was it Friday that they hatched?

As I said, I am out of town, but I just received news that my little Nicol has started crowing! He's gonna be a rooster lol I thought for sure he'd be a hen. Surprise!

Back
Top Bottom