***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
I'm sorry, what are NN's? I get so confused with abbreviations!

She is a cutie, hstave! Looks like a happy little girl! Is she getting along with the rest of your flock?

On a very very sad note, I'm devastated because our neighbor was so angry at hearing the birds, he came down and yelled at us. I honestly thought I had them plenty quiet? I don't know how he could hear the birds, in the house, in a dog crate with a blanket on them. They spent their whole day in the house, letting them out only in the evenings once every two weeks on Fridays. The neighbor's house is at least 50 feet away from ours (flag lot), and the neighbors on the other side are 10 feet away but hear nothing. So anyway, we ended up giving away all of our boys. Every last one.

I think my husband has a great book he is finishing, and if it sells, he promised me we'll move where I can raise chickens in solitude. I hope it'll be Washington, but it might be Texas (too hot for me though!) Well, for now I at least have my laying flock, and hopefully Duane Urch will still be in business when we move so I can get started on the right foot.

I guess I'm just another flaky start-up. I should have known I couldn't do this in the city :(

Foxy gets on great with the rest of the flock - she's the lowest on the "coop social ladder", but the other girls don't pick on her. They show a few displays of dominance, but never pull feathers or give her grief. The others will actually stay near and look after her, and often preen her while dust bathing. She tends to be a social clutz, but she's the best forager, and she's always got a full crop at the end of the day.
We are in Texas, and it can be hot, but we've got all kinds of great ways to stay cool here! Of course, I work at a museum, so it's ALWAYS cold in my office...
yippiechickie.gif

Raising chickens here can be a challenge, but we have come up wit some really creative ways to keep the chickens cool and happy in the 100+ degree days. fruits and veggies in a plastic container, throw in some water, pop in freezer, and voila! Chickensicle! Also, we keep a fan going in the run during the day, and frozen water bottles in the coop at night with a small, battery run fan to circulate the air. And water! Lots and lots of water!
So sorry you lost your boys! Where we live, they don't allow roos, so it's just hens in our back yard. I have these wistful thoughts of having some beautiful cockerels to go with our young ladies, but the dream stops there. *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm sorry, what are NN's? I get so confused with abbreviations!

She is a cutie, hstave! Looks like a happy little girl! Is she getting along with the rest of your flock?

On a very very sad note, I'm devastated because our neighbor was so angry at hearing the birds, he came down and yelled at us. I honestly thought I had them plenty quiet? I don't know how he could hear the birds, in the house, in a dog crate with a blanket on them. They spent their whole day in the house, letting them out only in the evenings once every two weeks on Fridays. The neighbor's house is at least 50 feet away from ours (flag lot), and the neighbors on the other side are 10 feet away but hear nothing. So anyway, we ended up giving away all of our boys. Every last one.

I think my husband has a great book he is finishing, and if it sells, he promised me we'll move where I can raise chickens in solitude. I hope it'll be Washington, but it might be Texas (too hot for me though!) Well, for now I at least have my laying flock, and hopefully Duane Urch will still be in business when we move so I can get started on the right foot.

I guess I'm just another flaky start-up. I should have known I couldn't do this in the city :(
I am so sorry cluck cluck. I know you were attached to your boy. I do not understand the hatred some people have for roosters. I was very sad to get rid of my Crev roosters. My angry neighbor is an acre away. The roosters I have now do not crow as much as the Crevs did. I am legal to have roosters where I live. I always have a creeping fear that my neighbor will follow through with his threat of suing me. Again I am sorry for you. I hope you can move. No matter where you move you will always have one rooster hating neighbor.
sad.png

I am so sorry cluck cluck.  I know you were attached to your boy.  I do not understand the hatred some people have for roosters.  I was very sad to get rid of my Crev roosters.  My angry neighbor is an acre away.  The roosters I have now do not crow as much as the Crevs did.  I am legal to have roosters where I live.  I always have a creeping fear that my neighbor will follow through with his threat of suing me.  Again I am sorry for you.  I hope you can move.  No matter where you move you will always have one rooster hating neighbor. :(

Not exactly true! Out in the sticks of texas I don't have an issue nor does anyone else. The laws down here are different! :)

Thanks Poularde, I'll use the time to study and plan. I'm the kind of person that has to go to the school of hard knocks anyway and had to see what's out there.

One of the things I'm wondering is how many acres would be required to isolate the sound sufficiently? LOL.. I really hope you're right, uglychickens, and that I'll find a friendly place some day soon!

Back
Top Bottom