Crevecoeurs or houdans from ideal

We got our two crevecoeurs primarily because of their threatened status, which we learned about from Nature Conservancy (Their spectacular appearance didn’t hurt). Not that we’ll be raising any, no Crevecoeur roo, but I’ve loved sharing our two hens with other chicken people.

You will love them. From the beginning I felt they were the brightest birds in our little mixed flock. Sort of like a crow crossed with a chicken. Curious and confident, very inquisitive. They talk a lot. Take no flack from the roosters but get along well with everyone. They do fly well, can change course mid air! We call them our French Sisters. I think you will enjoy them immensely.
I added two to my order, so I'll hope for one of each. Of course we all know what happens if you hope for a cockrel.
I have a blue easter egger rooster who has his own space in my chicken yard (& my heart), one of his offsprings, a blue ee x langshan cockrel that I'm definitely keeping, and another easter egger boy that I will either keep or rehome along with his groupies. If I get a pair, I'll be thrilled...my husband maybe not so much. 😁

@ConnieA how exactly do you pronounce "crevecoeur "?
I was curious and googled it. There are at least five different pronunciations on utube and the web.🤔
Of course, being from Texas I won't be able to do the accent justice anyway. 🙄
Thank you in advance.

@ConnieA how exactly do you pronounce "crevecoeur "?
I was curious and googled it. There are at least five different pronunciations on utube and the web.🤔
Of course, being from Texas I won't be able to do the accent justice anyway. 🙄
Thank you in advance.

Some people say "krev-cur" and I think that's probably the closest to original French pronunciation, with "krev-a-cur" a close second, if you make the middle syllable very small.

I have to admit that around here almost everyone says "kreev kore" because we have a city of Creve Coeur (spelled as two words). One of the original French governors of the French colony of the Saint Louis area was from Crevecoeur-en-Ange in France, the same area as the Crevecoeur chicken is from. I think that's where the city's name derived from, too. There is a local but probably totally fictional story about a beautiful Indian maiden who threw herself into Creve Coeur lake and drowned because of a broken heart.

My mother-in-law was from Normandy, France, and she said a creve-coeur in French is a hard decision. The town of Crevecoeur-en-Ange in France is on a river junction, where farmers would have to decide whether to ship their products to the market in Paris or to the seaports on the coast. In those days, that must have been a heart-wrenching decision!

My mother-in-law also said that in more recent French idiom, a creve-coeur was a heart-breaker, as in George Clooney or some other movie star. I like this one. Some of my roos are heart-breakingly beautiful!

Crevecoeur Rooster in barnyard.jpg

I concur, @ConnieA that rooster is the George Clooney of the poultry world!
You are a fount of knowledge! Im looking forward to raising the crevecoeur chicks. I'm going to keep hoping for a pair. If I get two cockrels or two pullets I'll try again in the spring.

I'm curious if anyone has either of these breeds from ideal? If so I'd like to see pictures. (I'd like to see your pictures of any type of ideal chickens.)
I'm considering getting one of each. I don't expect excellent quality. I'm buying a few interesting chickens for the grandchildren to oooh and ah over. Personality is much more important to me than looks. (😉of course that's what we girls always say)
I've added russian orloff to my list too.
Thanks in advance for advice and pictures.

Ideal silkie I got a couple years ago. I’ll be ordering more in a month or two.

Attachments

• D3F85C4D-33ED-4D5A-B143-9617C04122B7.jpeg
    D3F85C4D-33ED-4D5A-B143-9617C04122B7.jpeg
    466.5 KB · Views: 0
20201106_150731.jpg

20201106_150714.jpg

20201113_162031.jpg

20201025_101908.jpg

The Ideal crevecoeur chicks (Frankie & Johnnie) are 8 weeks old now. I'm unsure if they are both males but the one in front (1st pic) is much smaller and has thinner legs. Hoping. Both are pretty cute and curious.

I'm curious if anyone has either of these breeds from ideal? If so I'd like to see pictures. (I'd like to see your pictures of any type of ideal chickens.)
I'm considering getting one of each. I don't expect excellent quality. I'm buying a few interesting chickens for the grandchildren to oooh and ah over. Personality is much more important to me than looks. (😉of course that's what we girls always say)
I've added russian orloff to my list too.
Thanks in advance for advice and pictures.
Hi there! I have bought chickens from Ideal. They arrived just fine, but I have purchased from other hatcheries that were better. I do have Houdans though and they are wonderful birds. I have a mottled houdan named Fancy. She's so sweet and even tempered. I can see why people show them.

Back
Top Bottom