Cricket disaster narrowly averted

sooju

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 10, 2010
Pleasantville, NY
I couldn't resist any longer and stopped in at the local pet store today to pick up some crickets for my 10 day old chicks (so far they've only had boiled egg). I asked my five year old the other day if he wanted to feed crickets to the chicks and he said no, but he'd like to keep the crickets as pets. That's not happening! Anyway, he's at school today so I snuck some crickets into the house and dumped them into the brooder/box. I was totally unprepared for what happened next. The girls were terrified, cowering in the corner of the box while the crickets made themselves at home. And then, the crickets started CLIMBING THE SIDES OF THE BOX. I had assumed they couldn't jump high enough to get out, but I had no idea they could climb cardboard! I spent a tense few minutes pushing the escaping crickets back into the box while the girls cowered (I asked for a dozen but I think the guy put more like 20 in the bag, so they were everywhere). And just when I was wondering if I was going to have to spend the rest of the day hovering over the box, herding crickets, one brave hen (an australorp) grabbed a cricket and gulped it down. And then another. Finally, the rest of the chicks got the idea and gobbled up all the crickets. Phew! Lesson learned.

lau.gif

Sorry, but it is just too funny imagining it. I think I will stick with meal worms and let them find their own crickets once they are outside.

So funny when you give them something new to eat! Mine have cowered at the other side of the brooder when I gave them some freshly cut grass.....

If only they could talk "OMG OMG! LOOK AT THAT GREEN STUFF OVER THERE! I'M SURE IT WANT'S TO KILL US! DON'T LOOK AT IT--NO, AVOID EYE CONTACT! IF WE'RE VERY STILL, MAYBE THE GREEN STUFF WON'T NOTICE US......"

lol.png

Sooju, the Cricket Herder!
lau.gif

That sounds SO much like something I would do! Thanks for the excellent description and mental image I've got, now.
gig.gif

Maybe next time just try to drop one or two at a time.

Every chick I've ever had has been - initially! - mortally terrified by peas. I even scrunch 'em a bit so they're not all nice and round and so scary! At least peas don't try to get out of the brooder..... so when the bravest of the not-very-brave chicks finally pecks at a pea and discovers it won't turn on it and massacre everyone, I've not had to hover over the brooder to protect the rest of the world from escaping peas.

When I return about an hour later, the peas are gone. And the chicks are still safe. Miracle!

What those that have dealt with this before realize.

Next week Sooju will be posting an almost identical story of being mauled by a flock of small chicks because they think that it is time for more cricket treats.
wink.png

Welcome.
smile.png

My kids love to dig up earthworms and fed them to the chicks (3 weeks plus old.)
A dozen worms is a good half hour show!
lol.png

Too funny!

Just last night I purchased mealworms for our chicks. Initially my 10-year old son was agast at the thought of feeding LIVE worms to the chicks. He sobbed "I just don't want to kill nature!" After I explained that when the chicks are outside, they will be scratching and digging up their own bugs and worms, he was okay with the proposition.

I put a small plate in the brooder with the mealworms on it and the chicks spent a good minute walking around the plate eye-balling it and the contents. Finally one of them was too overwhelmed by the temptation of the wiggling worms on the plate and took the plunge. It was a free-for-all after that!

I love watching chick-keep-away. It's better than anything on TV these days!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom