pipdzipdnreadytogo

Fuzzy Feather Fanatic
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Cricket is a barred rock and she's looking mighty suspicious to me. We've already established that 2 of our Easter-Egger 'pullets' are roosters, so it wouldn't be difficult to believe a third rooster slipped through. I'm not sure, though, because she has the right feather color for a hen, but she's getting an awful lot of curl to her tail feathers and as I recall she did get pink pretty early... Anyway, here're a few pictures taken this morning (she would be 8 and a half weeks today) :

95415_cricket_face.jpg

(I tried my hardest to get her to look at the camera, but this was the best shot I could get for comb and waddles.)

95415_cricket_side_feathers.jpg

(Best side shot I could get. I swear, this bird has even less of an attention span than a normal chicken!)

95415_cricket_above.jpg

(The color of her feathers washed out, so don't be fooled by how pale she looks...)

And finally, the reason I'm so very suspicious:
95415_cricket_tail_feathers.jpg

That's a lot of curve for a pullet's tail feathers, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for answers. If no one's sure, I'll just continue my wait for the crow or the egg.
big_smile.png

the tail feathers and comb look similar to my pullets when she was that age. She's a silver pencilled though so I can't help with the colour side of things...

Since you said to disregard color...I say she looks like my pullets that are about the same age!
lol.png

Quote:
The color's not really easy to tell from the pictures (my camera really stinks) but from what I've seen posted elsewhere, s/he has the coloration of a pullet. I have more pullet-y BRs who are even a little bit lighter than Cricket, but I'm certain the other 5 barred rocks are pullets. The only concern I had was regarding the curve of the tail feathers (and maybe how much comb growth in comparison to the others) ; I put the other pics for stance and shape.

Quote:
So they aren't overly roo-ish tail feathers, then? I've been comparing them to the other two roos' tails, but I'm never sure... I can look at someone else's bird and know pretty confidently, but when it comes to my own... XD

3 of 4 pullets...
big_smile.png
Anyone else..?

(Now I feel as though I've gotten myself all paranoid for no reason...
lol.png
I get horrible rooster paranoia whenever I get chicks.)

I've had two pullets get 'suspicious tail feathers' that I've taken back to the breeder to double check. On both occasions I was just seeing things. Especially compared to he real cockerels. The breeder gave me a crash course on sexing (the second time round lol). Her tail looks similar to the way mine did, in combination with the way her comb looks now I'm pretty certain shes a pullet.

Does she 'strut' like a roo, they can tend to hold themselves more upright too, or just walk like a hen? That was another way my breeder taught me how to tell. Have a look on youtube at roosters walking and compare it to your hens, just watch the way they walk.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom