Critical breeds list

Quote:
Their are few places to obtain the mottled javas. I think off hand of Sand Hill Preservation, and Stormbergs. The Blacks are harder to find....private breeders are about the only source. Maybe someone else can help with that?

bigzio

I did raise:

Buttercup
Faverolle (bantam and large fowl)
Java (Black, Mottled, and White)
Nankin (Single-comb)
Russian Orloff (Spangled)
Sumatra (bantam Black)

Technically I never bred the Orloffs though. I had gorgeous hens but every time I got a rooster, it died in some freak accident.

When looking up information on the Javas I found these websites.

http://highgroundfarm.blogspot.com/2007/10/white-java-chickens-and-black-javas.html

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/2/2-4/Michael_Dougherty.html

http://www.dawnlandfarm.com/javachickens.html

Most seemed to sell eggs and all three have White and Black Javas available.

I breed Buckeyes. My strain is not a hatchery strain but actually from a strain that can be traced back to the originator. Right now, I have 1 Rooster, 2 Cockerels, 8 hens and 8 pullets (so a total of 19 in my flock). Most of the Hatcheries get their Buckeyes from reputable breeders or their foundation stock came from the same.

I understand that there may be flocks out there who do not reveal their birds to ALBC, so they don't get counted, but a breed can be endangered if the "diversity" within the breed is diminished. In other words, a breed with only a couple of strains but 2,000 birds would be endangered.

With Buckeyes, there are just a few strains, and there are only a handful of flocks large enough to sustain themselves. ALBC hunted down just about all the known strains a few years ago. Buckeye's real numbers were extremely low a at that time, and they would have went extinct except for a couple of Breeders. Being a composite breed, I guess they could have recreated (although the specific BB Game in their ancestry is not known). Buckeyes were inbred, and it showed in the stock. The ALBC instituted a Recovery Plan a few years ago and have done wonders to return this beautiful breed to standard.

I sold or gave away about 51 young Buckeyes this past Spring and hope to have some available next year. I have had a problem with getting sufficient numbers all at once though.

I encourage anyone looking for an entertaining, wonderful breed to consider raising them. They are a friendly, active, dual purpose breed. Buckeyes are also very hardy and excellent foragers. They are good mousers (the hens), and the males emit all sorts of wonderful sounds in addition to their crows including a loud roar on occasion.

They are an American breed and originate, of course, from the State of Ohio. They were never wildly popular.

They have the distinction of being the only breed created entirely by a woman and were admitted to the APA in 1904. They are also the only American (U.S. breed) that sports a pea comb. Roosters attain the weight of 8.5 to 9 lbs. hens are about 6.5 lbs. They lay a brown egg and are fair to good layers.

Some report that their Buckeyes are broody, but I only had 2 of 8 to go broody this past year. I did let one raise her chicks, and she was a good mother.

My Rooster (Cockerel in this picture):

11-11-2007-096.jpg

Thanks to MM and Ideal making an error sexing chicks this past summer I have a pair of Buttercups and Orloffs. Probably related but I might look into introducing some non-related ones if I so decide next year.

Last edited:
I have 12 Delaware blue eggs on the way from an eggbid purchase. I have 6 standard salmon faverolles on the way also from an eggbid purchase.

I also have a single bluff Chantecler and would like to get more.

Back
Top Bottom