Critical breeds list

I have 2 Mottled Houdan Roos (looking to sell one and find a girl for the other)
Have some Favorelle eggs in the bator

Good Lord, Don't let my hubby see this, he saw an older list in a book and wanted to get some of every chicken on it.......
th.gif

I now have Andalusian's not from a hatchery from a breeder.
I have 1 Blue rooster, and 1 black & 1 splash.
1 black pullet, blue pullets and splash pullets.
I look forward to working with them, I'll have eggs available as soon as my pullets are laying good.

Hatching eggs are available, my Andalusian girls are prolific layers. I'm getting 100% hatch on my eggs and the shipped eggs are doing great some are getting 100% hatch.
My last hatch was all blue chicks but 1 it was black.
The eggs are wonderful to candle you can really see them good.
Any one interested in hatching eggs pm me or do a search. I have them posted in buy sale trade under chicken hatching eggs.
I will have a few chicks for sale as local pick up only.

Last edited:
I have these:

Crevecoeur (standards)
Faverolle--bantam salmons & large whites
Houdan--bantams in white & mottled
Russian Orloff--bantams
Spanish--white faced whites (even more rare than the white faced blacks)
wink.png

Sumatra (standards)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there! I dug up this thread through a search
smile.png
The only thing I have on that list is one buttercup cockerel, who is about 2 months old. He is free to a good home if anyone wants him
big_smile.png
I didn't plan on getting these, it was a mix-up egg that was supposed to be a lakenvelder. I am in Adair Co, KY if anyone is interested. He came from Gatekeeper's stock
smile.png

I have one Splash Andalusian hen, I was supposed to have a male also, but he was one who didn't make it after the shipping. I would love to hatch some eggs if anyone has any. My plan was to work on them also. And also my Anconas, which I thought were endangered also. But I only have 2 hens and no male. I never see hatching eggs for either of these.
sad.png

One issue with hatchery Delawares, and I've seen it for myself recently, is that they outcrossed to Columbian Rocks at some point, and it shows in the hackles. The feedstore had a Del cockerel from Ideal who was maybe three months old. The Columbian Rock blood was very evident. Seems to me that if you are trying to preserve a breed, you need it pure.

ntiveheart: my original stock came from jeff lay and they look pretty good

Yes, you are right, overall a pretty good looking bird. I don't see many bad Buckeyes. One thing I don't like about Mr. Lay's birds and all of them look the same in this regard are the males' combs. The combs look like they are carrying a recessive gene for a single comb. This trait would lead me to believe that his Buckeyes have recently had some RIR introduced (??).

In a recent issue of the American issue of "Fancy Fowl," they featured some of the UK's Buckeyes (on the cover and in the article inside). I noticed the same comb type as Jeff Lay's Buckeyes & I wondered, "if the stock came from the same source as Lay's." Then I noticed Lay's comments on a group posting that he had sold eggs in the UK [so that would explain the UK's birds' combs]. It is my understanding that Jeff Lay has large hatchings & has been breeding Buckeyes for many years (many more than I) so I do not understand why he has not selected for a better comb.

Also, many of his males looked "pinched" in the saddle area which if bred to a Dam which also exhibits a "pinched saddle," then laying could be reduced.

Here is a picture of a Buckeye Male that won at the APA annual show and gives you an idea of what I am talking about (a result of the ALBC's recovery of the breed) & a superb specimen:

2007ChampionDonSchrider.jpg

and I was able to acquire a brother of the winner that looks similar:
11-11-2007-094.jpg

The pea comb should be "medium size" and have three distinct ridges with the middle one being the the most prominent:
IM000805_0003_003.jpg

AND another:
FL000002.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom