Critique my Silkies and Cochins for show, please? :)

I think your Silkies are beautiful!
big_smile.png

Either? Both? I don't know! Hahaha! My daughter wants to do youth, but I have no clue what that means. She has to do everything, right? Like bathing and whatnot? I don't mind letting her do all the work! Hahaha!

Thank you SilkieMama! I love them, they are the sweetest birds! My cochins are so sweet too. Especially the red pullet. Bless, her she doesn't even have a name! But she always jumps on me to say hi every time I go in there.

It really depends on what type of show you are considering. A national silkie show, I would say no, 4H yes. But, any bird can be shown. I like the Porcelain/Isabel Silkie, she has nice foot feathering, could use a little more cushion and a bigger crest, has nice tight wings.

The black needs more cushion and more crest. Can't really see the feathering on the feet, but she has nice tight wings.

I have never shown mine, so I can't tell you whether they are show quality or not, but you might get an idea of what to look for.

The best way is to look at show placing birds, then you get a better idea of what to look for. You never quit trying to improve a silkie. Several breeders on BYC have some super nice silkies! I have some pretty nice birds, but I would get slaughtered in a National Silkie Show
smile.png

Birds of Paradise Bloodline
34583_lav_pullet.jpg
34583_juliet_calender.jpg

34583_carissa2.jpg

34583_splash1.jpg

Last edited:
nobody will laugh at you at a show. especially a youth. I really like your porcelain ( I doubt she will have much direct competition being non bearded) the black will fill out more. Show are a great place to learn about the breed. many breeders go out of their way to help kids. Kaylee has come home several times with new birds or hatching eggs from breeders that want to help out. many breeders are worried about the hobby dying out and want to encourage the kids.

on the cochins they need time to mature it can take up to a year for them to reach full potential. most people show white and black cochins , you won't see as many red at a show.

as far as entering each bird can only be shown in open or junior. if your daughter is knowledgeable about her birds I would encourage her to do showmanship also

You won't get laughed at, neither will you do very well. I can't tell if the Cochins have vulture hocks from the way they're posed. That said, if you think they do they probably do. What I can see is their type which is poor. They are not nearly "round" enough. Bantam Cochins should be big balls of feathers, round from every direction. The variety you've chosen, Red Cochins, are not a variety that's had much attention. Most come from hatcheries which I suspect is true of these birds. I rarely see them at shows & when I do they look like yours.
Your Silkies essentially are in the same boat. They lack the fullness they should have. Their crests & cushions especially need to be fuller & they appear long in the back.
I'd suggest you go to the show anyway to look at the Silkies & Cochins that place & see how they differ from yours. While there talk to the people showing those breeds. Most of us love to talk about our birds & most want to encourage new people to take up the fancy. Also, most shows have a sale area where breeders sell excess stock. You might find something worthwhile to take home with you.

Thank you all so much for your honest opinions! I definitely think I will wait on the Cochins for sure. Yes, they are hatchery birds, and out of 20 of them, I felt like these were the few that *might* not get us thrown out!
lol.png
wink.png

And I think we will try and go the youth route for the silkies. I know that they are no where near comeptitive at this point, but we are just starting out. I'm ok with that!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom