'Croaky' breathing

eggsrcool

Sussex Fanatic
10 Years
May 18, 2009
England, United Kingdom
I have noticed one of my Light Sussex hens started with 'croaky' breathing a few weeks ago. She has been sneezing a bit too.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Light Sussex. 4 years old last month. No weight- but she looks pretty overweight

2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lifting head slightly to breathe. Croaky. Less active- but still reasonably active for her age.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Change in weather?

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating corn, cracked corn, peas, kitchen scraps.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? A natural poultry spice in food. ACV (but we have run out now).

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself

9) Describe the housing/bedding in use Shredded newspaper, and wood shavings in the nest boxes.

She has stopped laying- she has done for a year or two now.

Thanks!

So does she not get any laying pellets at all? Not near enough protein in corn and peas and kitchen scraps, overweight, could have fatty liver. She should have layed longer than 2 years, or maybe I didn't understand. But I don't see how that would be related to croaky breathing or sneezing. But if her general health is poor, she would be more susceptible to bad weather causing problems.

Back
Top Bottom