Crochet "Chat"

The youngest is 8 the eldest 13. The club actually meets on Wed. but I had some today getting ready for the Board Meeting on Thursday night. We've been asked to do a presentation! When the hooks got here they had to try each and every one of them!

Quote:
I am so glad. My Nana would be happy to know - if she were still with us - that her hooks went to teach the next generation a useful art.

Quote:
WOW!!! I just read the other thread you posted about the whole project. That is so amazing! I think it is just wonderful! My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was young, but she didn't teach me her other skills of quilting etc. I wish I would have known then when I was younger to take the time to learn more, b/c I so yearn to do all that she did, but she isn't here any more for me to ask. I really feel kind of close to her as I'm going through the crochet learning process. I think crocheting, or sewing for that matter is a lost art and think it's so important to find a way to keep it alive. Good luck with your presentation and keep us posted on the club.

Smitty's Farm :

Quote:
WOW!!! I just read the other thread you posted about the whole project. That is so amazing! I think it is just wonderful! My grandmother taught me to crochet when I was young, but she didn't teach me her other skills of quilting etc. I wish I would have known then when I was younger to take the time to learn more, b/c I so yearn to do all that she did, but she isn't here any more for me to ask. I really feel kind of close to her as I'm going through the crochet learning process. I think crocheting, or sewing for that matter is a lost art and think it's so important to find a way to keep it alive. Good luck with your presentation and keep us posted on the club.

That is exactly why I'm using this, it is a lost art that kids learned to do at their Grandma's knee! They learned to make beautiful items but they also learned how to measure, how to count, how to read and remember instructions. Those kids could plan and make a meal by the time they were 9 years old, if they wanted a dress they could sew it and they knew how to make it fit. It was general every day knowledge, and they didn't sit in a classroom doing word problems to learn how to double a recipe so the sudden visitors from church could eat. So I'm going back to the old ways, and teaching them what they need to know now, in a way they will enjoy and remember and hopefully pass on. I know, I get maudlin and up on my soapbox,, but I feel so strongly about alternative means of learning.​

Quote:

That is exactly why I'm using this, it is a lost art that kids learned to do at their Grandma's knee! They learned to make beautiful items but they also learned how to measure, how to count, how to read and remember instructions. Those kids could plan and make a meal by the time they were 9 years old, if they wanted a dress they could sew it and they knew how to make it fit. It was general every day knowledge, and they didn't sit in a classroom doing word problems to learn how to double a recipe so the sudden visitors from church could eat. So I'm going back to the old ways, and teaching them what they need to know now, in a way they will enjoy and remember and hopefully pass on. I know, I get maudlin and up on my soapbox,, but I feel so strongly about alternative means of learning.

No, no, no....I TOTALLY agree!!!! Love what you are doing. Keep up the exceptional work. I have been preaching to my dd that it is a lost art and needs to let me try to teach her how to crochet again. I told her she has to so she can pass it down also.

LOL Smitty I was agreeing with you,, it is a lost art. I hope your daughter will learn with you, it's such a wonderful relaxing moment with them. ETA: Well lol not always relaxing when I have 20 some kids in the room and everyone wants my attention!

Last edited:
Quote:
I love this discussion you two are having. I learned to crochet from my Grandmother as well but forgot how as I got older. Then when my DD was turning 12 I asked her what she wanted for her birthday (we had already bought her a 12 speed touring bike but it was a surprise) and she said that she wanted to learn how to crochet.
I said, "I don't know how to crochet". She said, "but that's all I want for my birthday." I said, "Pick something else. I don't know how to crochet!" She said "MOM! It's all I want for my birthday, I don't want anything else!!!" So I went and got a bunch of yarn, hooks and a couple of very basic beginning crochet books and taught myself to crochet so that I could give her the gift she wanted.
It turned out to be an extra special gift she gave to ME as well because I've never stopped and I love it! I'll always be thankful to my grandmother and my daughter for teaching me to crochet!
smile.png

Damummis ~ Those baby clothes are just Precious!! I have several patterns of thread crochet christening dresses & layettes, but I just have not committed the time to them yet. Did you find yours took quite a long time to finish?

insiderart ~ That doggy dress is cute! does it velcro on?

Writer of words & Smitty's ~ I was also taught by a loving elderly lady, though not my grandmother ( she taught me embroidery .. & class ;-D). When I was about 12 or 15 or so, One night for our youth group, a very brave & sweet elderly lady in our ward taught about 20 of us how to do basic crochet. I started learning with thread, and made little bells & angels & balls for our Christmas tree. but then I left it for about 20 yrs, and raised kids instead. Lately, however, with my oldest turning 18, and she & my 2nd oldest ( who is 16) heading off to college, I've started thinking that perhaps putting away a few baby goodies might not be a bad idea. That whole ~Be Prepared~ thing.

One thing that has been a tremendous help in learning new crochet stitches, believe it or not, is a Japanese Crochet book. It goes over the basic stitches in such detail that you simply cannot mess them up! I don't read a word of Japanese, but the books & patterns are all done in diagrams, & I have a wonderful book that tells you exactly the diagram legend and matching stitch. I got it off of ebay, and I have to say, this book is, for me, anyway, better than the Harmony Guides.

Here is a link, and here are a few pics of the book: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110489231379

IMG_6218.jpg

See the little symbol in the top left-hand corner of each stitch? That is the diagram symbol. For me, it makes reading a pattern so much easier. Plus, with a diagram, you get to see the whole pattern laid out, so you have a good sense of what the finished product will be, and how that will fit up with the rest of the project. ( like shaped sleeves, or necks.)
~Red

Last edited:
Redhead,
I have a few different patterns for the same general pattern. I find if the body is all one piece the project goes faster than if I had to do a front, back and the arms. It takes me about two evenings of watching documentaries online with DH to make one.
big_smile.png

Everything I know I credit my Nana with. All of my "lost arts". I am always being told I was born in the wrong era. No, I was just raised by the older generation.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom