Crooked Toe Joe and Depressed Black Dahlia?

Chanchilla

Chirping
Sep 22, 2023
I have questions about two of my feathered children.

One is my Buff Maran's toes. I actually thought his toes were normal (as they were the same on both sides and looked like this since he was chick) until someone pointed them out. It doesn't seem to negatively effect him, but wondering about the cause and if it might hinder his mating/defending capabilities.

Then there's my hen (not sure if shes a buff, australorp, maran, a mix or something else), she's been shedding feathers like crazy, eating less and generally hanging back and separating herself from the flock. I'd almost call her depressed. No mites or anything. Is she possibly molting?
PXL_20230926_133643924.jpg
PXL_20230923_155603438.jpg

Crooked toes like that are common imperfections. Sometimes as a day old chick they can be straightened with taping the top and bottom, but after a few days, it will not help. I have had a few with that, and they lived normal lives.

The hen does look like an Australorp, although her brownish unkempt feathers are probably just from molting. Here is a picture I found that explains the Australorp traits:
https://www.thehappychickencoop.com...021/03/Australorp-Chickens-BREED-STANDARD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom