crooked toes/ feet

gemtruker

Chirping
Feb 23, 2016
Monday, the last chick to hatch, I needed to help it. the chicks had started to hatch last Wednesday. I am actually surprised it actually alive. its in with the other chicks, and getting around fairly well in the box. its eating and drinking. the foot on the right side is crooked. the middle toe on the left foot, is bent under. can I tape the feet in the correct position?

My first flock of chickens came with Abigail she has a very crocked foot. We taped it and made a splint. for quite a while. It made no difference. She is a great chicken doesn't make a difference that she has a little crippled foot she get around fine. I still would try to tape it or splint it. A for effort.

Monday, the last chick to hatch, I needed to help it. the chicks had started to hatch last Wednesday. I am actually surprised it actually alive. its in with the other chicks, and getting around fairly well in the box. its eating and drinking. the foot on the right side is crooked. the middle toe on the left foot, is bent under. can I tape the feet in the correct position?
It's possible to splint the toes when they are very young. Putting some BComplex or chick vitamins into the water may also help. Here is an article to read about it:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

Back
Top Bottom