crop bound need help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by packobeagles, Sep 8, 2013.

1. packobeagles

packobeagles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    My polish crested who is molting was acting sluggish and not eating much. I finally thought to check her crop and it feels like there are pebbles in there and is not emptying. I can move it around, it is not super solid but not slushy either. Her poos are white and watery. She is drinking and I have given her some coconut oil and massage over the last 24 hours but have seen no progress.
    I have seen that you can use Colace for crop bound chickens. Does anyone know how to administer these??
    Please help. She is my favorite girl.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When mine get a slow, hard crop like that, I tube water to them and it always clears in 24 hours.

-Kathy

3. packobeagles

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    She is drinking a ton of water on her own. Her crop feels like a bean bag.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I fill the crop of mine until they feel like sloshy bean bags, which is about 30ml per 2.2 pounds and I do this a few times a day.

-Kathy

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. packobeagles

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    What size tube and where do you get it?

6. packobeagles

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    Well I went to the pet store and got aquarium tube and a syringe. I tubed watered her twice today and will continue tomorrow. Should I still give her yogurt and coconut oil if she'll eat it? Her poos are all still water but the last poo had a really tiny brown clump of grass, so that gives me a little
    hope.

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    That's good thinking on your part! I would let her eat small amounts of soft foods if she wants and keep tubing water.

-Kathy

8. packobeagles

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    Well, she has not wanted to eat since I started tubing water. This morning her crop was really hard this time(before it felt like bean bags). I think she pooped mostly liquid over night but there looked to be a tiny amount of brown with material. I tubed more water this AM and massaged the crop. I may let he hang with her pals(while I watch) and see if she she'll eat some yogurt/mash with them when I get home from work. I don't know what else to do at this point :(

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much water can you get into her?

-Kathy

10. packobeagles

Aug 20, 2012
    kansas city, missouri
    About 30 ml. She is a polish and is small about 2.5 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by