crop bound need help!!

If you are 100% sure that she will not vomit or aspirate, you could try tubing some mineral oil to her, that might help move stuff through, but if you device to do that, know that aspiration of *any* oil can cause lipoid pneumonia. You could also try giving more fluids.

Would it work to put a tsp of mineral oil into some yogurt and let her eat it?  That way she can't aspirate it.

That's a good idea... Or maybe a piece of bread? FWIW, I use mineral oil because it's not digested like cooking oils, so it will help lubricate the entire digestive track.
-Kathy

I just got home and was starting to get discouraged but when I was talking to her in her little pen she literally shot water out of her bum and some brown really stinky stuff came out too. The only way I can get her to eat is if I put her with the other girls and they eat with her. I did got her to eat some layer pellets mashed with water, yogurt and olive oil with the other girls. The mix was very liquidity. I can go get some mineral oil but is it ok for the others to eat it too??
I can't tube any more water into her until 4 today....that is when someone else will be home to hold her. Then maybe I can get more water into her around 10pm??

I went and got some mineral oil. I tried the bread thing but she wouldn't eat it. I probably have the only chickens who don't eat bread. I have a gluten allergy so not much bread around here. I mixed some oil with some watery mash and she ate some of that. I don't know exactly how much she got but it is better then nothing. She has perked up a bit today. She jumped out of her pen in my bathroom and is chilling on my leg.
She has poo'd about five times today and each time there is a little solid green stuff in there. I don't know if it is just what I am feeding her or if the blockage is slowly working thru. Fingers crossed.
BTW, thank you for the support! I definitely need it.

I went through something similar last year. It took days of soft food (bread soaked in olive oil, yogurt, scrambled eggs with some butter or oil) and massaging the crop to work it out. Don't panic.

Update... She really hasn't eaten much today. I can get her to eat a tiny bit of layers mash watered down out of my hand but that's about it. I have tried mashed eggs with oil, yogurt, apple sauce ( all things she usually loves) to no avail. Still tube watering her and she is still pooing mostly water with a little material in it. At this rate it is going to take forever to work thru. I am worried about her not getting enough nutrients, especially since she is also molting. She is hanging in there though. Keeping on, keeping on.

Last edited:
I hope you are able to get her to eat. I haven't had to tube feed a chicken before, and I'm sure this is really tough to go through. Are you leaving the tube in or taking it out between feedings? I'm hoping to have good news from you tomorrow.

Tubes are taken out after feeding... It's very different, and much easier than tubing mammals.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom