Crop Duster Jerk! Hope my critters don't die :(

farmgirlie1031

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
IA
Just awhile ago a crop duster flew over. No big deal normally. But this time he flew really really low. He spooked all the horses and sprayed the landlord's hog barn and 3 of our pasture areas along with the crops. I hope it doesn't kill our critters or our garden. He flew really low over our pasture I am so glad I had them out of the pasture and in our front side yard for the day. He flew low over our house also. One of our trees bent down as he flew over it. I understand they have to be low to get the crops but they don't have to spray hog barns and pastures also! If any of my critters die I know what to blame it on. My ducks were out playing in the pasture but I've locked them back away now. I'm sure some of the spray is probably on me as well so I better go shower now. Just pray nothing dies because of this incident.

Last edited:
ooh I hope your animals will be okay! I don't have any experience with crop dusting problems, but maybe there is a way you can hold someone accountable if something does happen to your animals?

That is really aweful. Places in California have a lot of sick people because they live too close to fields that are chemically treated. NOT GOOD AT ALL. I am sorry this had to happen. Hopefully if it is a one time occurence nothing ill will come of it.

Quote:
Thanks. I hope so. It was so scary to see the plane that close and low to our house and then witness him fly low over the hog barn and our pasture and backyard with the spray still on. Normally they turn the spray off except over the fields.

That pilot needs to be reported. He/she should NOT be spraying residences, and certainly not when people are present!

I would contact the landowner, find out who sprayed - - and WHAT was sprayed -- and keep good records of all contacts and conversations in case legal action becomes necessary. I used to live in the Salinas Valley (CA) right behind the fields, and I saw some nasty things sprayed in the fields - - usually at night, by men in haz-mat suits.

There are some serious chemicals used on agribusiness plants, and you must protect your family and your animals.

Good luck!

That happened to my Dad! Totally wiped out his garden for the year!! Find out what they sprayed and the name of the person who owns the property next to yours. In our State they are libel for damages caused by the spraying. And ,yes my Dad did get a generous settlement from the landowner.

We have a whole lot of crop dusters here where I live in Texas. Stinking stuff anyways. Luckily we don't live near a field or farm. Man, I would report this pilot spraying your barns and animals.

We figured out it was bug killer after we saw all the bugs crawling out of the field into our front yard where he didn't spray and no bugs in the yard where the spray hit. All my critters appear ok and I peaked through the window of the hog barn and they looked ok to me thankfully. I'll still keep an eye on all my critters but I was told since I didn't get a photo of them or the plane number I can't really do anything.

Back
Top Bottom