Crop filled with air

khind

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 16, 2014
Norman, OK, USA
Hi! My hen has a very large crop (post-impaction surgery) which the vet thinks is filled with air/gas. So we talked about trying simethicone for that. My question is the dose (he didn't know what to suggest). I got infant liquid simethicone which has 20 mg / 0.3 mL. I was going to give her just the 20 mg, but now finding your suggestion in this thread, I wonder if I can/should give her much more. (She's also on an antifungal.) She is a bantam though, and at this point is lucky if she weighs 1.5 lbs. Do you have any thoughts on that? Thank you!

Hello! Sorry your girl is struggling after crop surgery. :hugs No doubt the tissue is quite swollen and probably will be for some time. How long ago did she have surgery?

I have never "properly" dosed Simethicone for chickens, it really isn't toxic if used for a very short period of time. I've used the entire contents of an adult sized human liquid capsule on them for impacted crops, and only for a couple few days till the impaction passed. In humans it can cause heart trouble if used continuously at high doses, probably so in chickens as well if used continuously.

So if you are looking for a proper dosage here, I am not sure. You could try one 20mg dosage of the liquid you have and see if it helps. Because you aren't dealing with an impaction, 20mg might be enough to deflate the crop a bit.

Hello! Sorry your girl is struggling after crop surgery. :hugs No doubt the tissue is quite swollen and probably will be for some time. How long ago did she have surgery?

I have never "properly" dosed Simethicone for chickens, it really isn't toxic if used for a very short period of time. I've used the entire contents of an adult sized human liquid capsule on them for impacted crops, and only for a couple few days till the impaction passed. In humans it can cause heart trouble if used continuously at high doses, probably so in chickens as well if used continuously.

So if you are looking for a proper dosage here, I am not sure. You could try one 20mg dosage of the liquid you have and see if it helps. Because you aren't dealing with an impaction, 20mg might be enough to deflate the crop a bit.
Thank you for your response!
She had surgery just last Monday, 5/01, and by Thursday the 4th, her crop was huge again! 😔I actually have a thread going about this here - (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-complications.1578405/page-2#post-26824953), but at the point I wanted to try simethicone, I went back to the Search bar in hopes to find a dosage, and ran across your comment about it in another thread! The mods set up this new thread for me once I asked you for your thoughts.
Well, the night I inquired, I gave Buffy what worked out to be 23 mg... and a little later (maybe an hour?) I fed her again because she was still awake and ravenous, and followed up to that several minutes later with 26.7 mg. That makes a total of ~50 mg. The amount you mentioned in that thread was over 100 - I think either 125-ish or more than that for, I assumed, a standard-sized hen. There was no change with that quantity.
So today I gave her about 90 mg. I would have given more, but I really locked myself in with that infant formula of simethicone; it took a Lot of liquid to get to 90 mg. But again, no shrinkage. 😔
I will try a little more tonight just to see if it works. I'm going to look for your comment again in that other thread, and see how I can adjust it down just a small amount for her weight.
The weird thing is, despite this huge crop, Buffy is pooping her food waste efficiently. Her comb is nice and red, and her personality and energy are like her normal self before all this started with her crop getting impacted in the first place. The vet felt the same, and was stumped when he saw her crop last week because, he said, it felt like air/gas in there... And he also noted that she looked so good aside from this.

Thank you for your response!
She had surgery just last Monday, 5/01, and by Thursday the 4th, her crop was huge again! 😔I actually have a thread going about this here - (https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...er-complications.1578405/page-2#post-26824953), but at the point I wanted to try simethicone, I went back to the Search bar in hopes to find a dosage, and ran across your comment about it in another thread! The mods set up this new thread for me once I asked you for your thoughts.
Well, the night I inquired, I gave Buffy what worked out to be 23 mg... and a little later (maybe an hour?) I fed her again because she was still awake and ravenous, and followed up to that several minutes later with 26.7 mg. That makes a total of ~50 mg. The amount you mentioned in that thread was over 100 - I think either 125-ish or more than that for, I assumed, a standard-sized hen. There was no change with that quantity.
So today I gave her about 90 mg. I would have given more, but I really locked myself in with that infant formula of simethicone; it took a Lot of liquid to get to 90 mg. But again, no shrinkage. 😔
I will try a little more tonight just to see if it works. I'm going to look for your comment again in that other thread, and see how I can adjust it down just a small amount for her weight.
The weird thing is, despite this huge crop, Buffy is pooping her food waste efficiently. Her comb is nice and red, and her personality and energy are like her normal self before all this started with her crop getting impacted in the first place. The vet felt the same, and was stumped when he saw her crop last week because, he said, it felt like air/gas in there... And he also noted that she looked so good aside from this.
Sounds like she is on the mend, I've never dealt with a bird that had crop surgery so I can't be sure, but I imagine this is part of the healing process? Keep us updated on her condition! :)

Back
Top Bottom