Crop full of water, lethargic

2ndTink

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Aug 23, 2020
) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 3 1/2 yr old RIR, weight is normal
2) What is the behavior, exactly. About a week ago she had dirty butt feathers and looked egg bound but her abdomen was fine. I gave her an Epsom salt soak and calcium and she seemed back to normal until yesterday. I found her laying in the run with a floppy comb and a dirty butt again. Abdomen is still fine, I was thinking EYP so tried to giver her an Auqua-Mox and a whole bunch of water came out of her beak, no smell. Felt her crop and it was still full of liquid.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? About a week ago for 1 day then better until yesterday.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinking, yes. I haven't seen her eat yesterday or today and she's usually the one eating all the time
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Watery a week ago it looked like it had a little egg white in it but I wasn't sure.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I was thinking of antibiotics but not sure, gave her some probiotics today.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Full treatment hopefully
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
8x10 Coop with shavings, 10x18 run, partially covered. 10 other birds in the flock with her.

Feeding Nutrena hearty hen. I let them out about once per week, minimal treats, lately some cucumbers maybe twice per week.

Did you check the crop first thing in the morning before she drank or ate? It is very hot there, especially inside the coop? Can you separate her and post some pictures of her poops? Is there any enlargement of her lower belly under the vent that might be fluid? Did she normally lay eggs before the dropping last week with possible egg in it? I would give another human calcium citrate tablet with D3 orally into her beak. Offer some cooked soft egg and a little mushy wet feed.

Did you check the crop first thing in the morning before she drank or ate? It is very hot there, especially inside the coop? Can you separate her and post some pictures of her poops? Is there any enlargement of her lower belly under the vent that might be fluid? Did she normally lay eggs before the dropping last week with possible egg in it? I would give another human calcium citrate tablet with D3 orally into her beak. Offer some cooked soft egg and a little mushy wet feed.
Thank you!

She was already out in the run and had water on her chin this morning when I got out there but her crop was less full than when I had checked last night. I'll try to get out before dawn tomorrow. She is an early bird.

No enlargement of her lower belly.

I'll give her calcium and D3 tonight with some eggs and mash.

I don't have anywhere to separate her currently but I'll try to get a poop picture.

Her crop is smaller tonight but still squishy, I gave her the calcium and D3 pills. I also made a mash and she bellied right up and ate. Not as voraciously as usual, but she was steadily eating, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 speed. Her butt is dry tonight, so looks like no fresh accumulation of stuff. She was up and walking about when I got home and I didn't see her laying down at any point. Her comb is still a bit flopped but good color.

I'm not sure if she has been laying or not, she's in with 6 other brown egg layers and I get 1 to 4 brown eggs per day. Her eggs aren't distinct in any way.

Belly is still normal, it was 75 inside the coop this evening, it was cooler today than it has been in awhile.

The crop should normally empty overnight. It feels up gradually during the day with food and water.
I realized I didn't clarify that one, it is smaller tonight that it was last night and almost double the size it was this morning. All the other girls have firm small crops, hers is squishy and 2 1/2" in diameter tonight.

Red seems back to herself today, crop is squishy but small, I felt some of the other hens and a couple felt similar. I'll give her calcium and vitamin D for another couple days. She was feeling good enough to be hard to catch to give the pills to today, so that was good.

I've noticed a couple thin shelled eggs, this flock usually doesn't have any issues. We've had horrible grain mites in the feed this summer, not sure if that is contributing? I've started going to multiple stores to find the least mite covered bags in town and only buying one bag at a time.

Back
Top Bottom