crop - how big is "normal?"

deserthomestead

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Sandy Valley, NV
Tonight I noticed that one of my 4 week old pullets has a very large lump on her chest.
I'm assuming this is her crop and it's just full of food. The lump is almost golf ball- sized. Is this normal?
Oh, and she's a Barred Rock, if it helps any.

Kinda hard to say. If is feels like a knot and is still present in the morning you might have a problem.

Tonight I noticed that one of my 4 week old pullets has a very large lump on her chest.
I'm assuming this is her crop and it's just full of food. The lump is almost golf ball- sized. Is this normal?
Oh, and she's a Barred Rock, if it helps any.
If you feed her anything other than chick feed,she needs grit. On my chicks crop when full,is similar in size to what you described(golf ball)but in the morning is soft and empty. Check her crop at night,then check again in the morning,should be smaller,soft and empty.

Last edited:
Agreed with last post. Its pretty normal. If you are feeding vegetation grit is a must. In Missouri we have no issues with that since we grow rocks. (I live in the Ozarks) Otherwise it is normal and I had to ask the same question when I first got birds. Just make sure they go down the next day.

Everything was fine this morning, thank goodness. They definitely have all the grit they could possibly want - their run is full of desert sand. I guess the little lady is just a hungry bird!

Back
Top Bottom