Crop Impaction in 3 week Old Americauna?

daweri

Hatching
6 Years
May 14, 2013
About 4 days ago I noticed one of the baby chicks I got was huddling off on her own. I picked her up and her crop felt rock hard. I've tried putting some olive oil down her crop and massaging her upside down several times but it doesn't budge. Now she seems to be having trouble walking around. I've seen her eat and seen her poop in the last couple days so things are working through her system. I even went so far as to pick maggots off a dead mouse outside and feed them to her in the hopes of them eating whatever is stuck in her crop. I found this suggestion on other posts. Does anyone have any other suggestions or know of anything else it could possibly be? Do they usually have trouble walking when they have a crop impaction? They eat medicated starter and there is chick grit in there for them. I've been feeding them a little bit of cut up spinach and grapes. Is it possibly the spinach? I also have a paper down under the pellet bedding and did see one with a huge piece in her mouth the other day so Im not sure if the injured one swallowed a piece of paper.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. If there's anything else I can do for her I would like to try, but I dont want to see her suffer any longer if I can't help her. A vet bill is unfortunately not an option for us. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom