Crop impaction

I am giving her polenta, yogurt, and egg yolk this just so that i can make sure she doesn't gorge herself and then i will probably add her back in tonight. I don't think she likes the concoction I made her much, but she's picking at it (and then wiping beak immediately!). She's talkative and seems to be doing well this morning. I don't think I could feel her crop at all so I think she's good. Very happy if this was that easy!

I am so glad she is looking better!!!

It may be ok, she just ate alot in the morning before you got to her. Before I did anything, I would seperate her (dog crate) for the night with just acv water to drink. then tommorow morning I would feel her crop and see if it is a hard ball or empty. If you cannot seperate, just remove the food from the coop so no one can eat, they don't eat at night anyway and can hold off a few hours in the morning.

Keep us posted!

What does the apple cider vinegar do, does it dissolve the stuff in there?

She definitely still has some kind of problem with her crop, other than that she's normal.

I put her back with the others yesterday, because her crop had gone down and she wasn't really interested in the food I was giving her (she started eating it like a mad woman as soon as the others started eating it, though, chickens....) while she was in the small crate. Her crop is going down in size, so I know it's not a full impaction, but it is getting SO BIG so fast when she eats. I am worried about her starving or something because of nutrition getting to her more slowly. What all can I do for a partial impaction? I am massaging a few times a day but I don't know what else to do. I am hoping I don't need to do surgery :hmm

Now that I know about crop impaction I keep seeing the eating these huge pieces of grass and am getting so mad.

Isn't it funny, they always want what the others have, lol!

Yes, the acv water will help kill any bad bacteria looming about in her crop. If there is blockage, it would help prevent any additional issues.

Its normal for a bird to get a large crop by the end of the day, I have one girl who's crop is huge by midday. Its so big it looks like a tumor coming off of her chest! What would concern me, and what i look for in the morning, prior to having access to food, is if the huge crop is still full, or is soft and squishy.

I had a girl with sour crop and it took nearly 2 weeks to cure. It may just need more time...

I would, keep massaging her crop, giving her soft foods. monitor her closely. I would say when you start seeing signs, not eating, weight loss, pale comb, then I would consider crop surgey, but only if you are certain there is no other way. Thats just my opinion.

good luck!

Thank you! I did talk to a customer of mine that has chickens today and she told me she thinks it's normal and it's just because she's young. The crop is definitely more distended than normal, gets there quickly, and is hard when full, but other than that she seems ok, so I'm just waiting things out right now.

Back
Top Bottom