Crop impaction

hannahransom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Lakeside, CA
Please respond with any info!

My chicken, a 12 1/2 week old Rhode Island Red, has crop impaction from what I can tell. Her crop is huge, and was so last night (when I first noticed it). I decided to wait until this morning to see if it was still big, noticed it was (after she ate, dang!) and it's very hard as well. I'm hoping I caught it early but I'm not sure. I didn't even know what crop impaction was until I googled enlarged crop to see if it was a problem.
All I have is coconut oil in terms of oil... If I liquify it will that be ok? She isn't co-operating and letting me look in her beak, so I haven't seen if she smells or if I can see the hole to the lungs.
She is still eating, seems vital, and even pooped a bit, at least, so I can't imagine this is in late stages or anything.
I have no idea how to massage a crop or administer this oil, so any help asap would be good. Right now she is just in a crate with another crate on top with water. I put a towel down so she won't eat anything, poop on anything, and not have to walk on a crate.

Any words of wisdom would be helpful!

She has pooped at least three times. I'm terrified to do the oil thing because I don't know my way around a chickens mouth (I found sesame oil). I tried giving her oil with a bit of egg yolk but she wasn't having any of that (tried it and apparently I made it too oily because she immediately started wiping her beak off).

I don't have experience with sour crop/impacted crop but have read that olive oil soaked into bread pieces is good for them.

I have not massaged a crop before so cannot tell you how. If it is truly impacted and nothing will move through there is a crop surgery thread you can ask for or search for later if needed.

Thanks. I'm hoping the lady I bought the chickens from calls me back as she knows a lot about chickens. I don't even know where to put the oil in the mouth to avoid the lungs, so haven't done anything but massage. Poor baby girl.

Thanks. I'm hoping the lady I bought the chickens from calls me back as she knows a lot about chickens. I don't even know where to put the oil in the mouth to avoid the lungs, so haven't done anything but massage. Poor baby girl.

I recommend placing oil in bread as it would be so easy for them to aspirate oil. Now for medications and other liquids like water, I recommend using a syringe and placing it alongside the beak, allowing them to drink it slowly.

I have done this carefully and it works well.

IMO it is not safe to pour liquids down the throat. Just my opinion!

I tried the oil...I tried the massage....it depends on what they ate...I had to do surgery on my Calico mille Fluer. you can read my post on it. ~Charm1704

Her crop has gone down a lot and she has pooped, but I don't know if there is something in there still (well, I will be checking in the morning). I massaged a lot today but nothing else. I really want someone more experienced in crop feeling to tell me whether she has passed everything. I feel so bad that she hasn't been able to eat since 9ish. I can definitely feel her keel bone like crazy, but I think that might be her age, too, she hasn't fattened up yet. I will be feeling the keel of the other RIR I have tomorrow as a comparison, I did feel the ok RIR's crop today to compare and I couldn't tell too much of a difference. Like I said, she was vital and eating up until I put her in the crates. She's still ok, but obviously can't move a whole bunch in the crates. I'm very new with the chickens, so this is my first for everything.

If you are feeling less and less food in the crop, and she is pooing well, I would let her go back to the flock, and just check her crop at night and in the morning.

I am giving her polenta, yogurt, and egg yolk this just so that i can make sure she doesn't gorge herself and then i will probably add her back in tonight. I don't think she likes the concoction I made her much, but she's picking at it (and then wiping beak immediately!). She's talkative and seems to be doing well this morning. I don't think I could feel her crop at all so I think she's good. Very happy if this was that easy!

Back
Top Bottom