Crop issue. Need help.

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
20 week old has full squishy crop and when I push on it she has liquid that comes up. Also seen her have diarrhea. She's not doing much, just standing around. What can I do for her? This just started today. I have seen her drinking a lot of water.

Does she have a sour or rotten odor from her beak? I have never had much luck treating sour crop, since my few that had it had some other problem going on (reproductive disorders, mostly.) I would try seeing a vet to make sure it is a fungal infection, not a bacterial one, and getting some Nystatin, an antifungal liquid that treats fungal disease. Here is a good article about treating sour crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Also, I would feel of her lower abdomen between her legs to check if she in enlarged or tight, which can be a sign of swelling or ascites from a reproductive disorder. Get some plain yourt, such as Chobani or Fage, and give her 1 tsp daily for probiotics. Do not feed her any whole grains until her crop is normal. Cooked egg and muchy chicken feed made very watery would be what I would feed now.

Does she have a sour or rotten odor from her beak? I have never had much luck treating sour crop, since my few that had it had some other problem going on (reproductive disorders, mostly.) I would try seeing a vet to make sure it is a fungal infection, not a bacterial one, and getting some Nystatin, an antifungal liquid that treats fungal disease. Here is a good article about treating sour crop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Also, I would feel of her lower abdomen between her legs to check if she in enlarged or tight, which can be a sign of swelling or ascites from a reproductive disorder. Get some plain yourt, such as Chobani or Fage, and give her 1 tsp daily for probiotics. Do not feed her any whole grains until her crop is normal. Cooked egg and muchy chicken feed made very watery would be what I would feed now.
Thank you. And no, I can't smell anything sour coming from her.

Then you are probably catching it early. If sour crop goes untreated it will become very rotten smelling.
Since your chicken is having diarrhea, there also could be a chance that she could have coccidiosis, and that can often cause a slow to empty crop, which is not sour crop. Can you take some droppings in to your local vet in the AM? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store is a treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5 days.

Then you are probably catching it early. If sour crop goes untreated it will become very rotten smelling.
Since your chicken is having diarrhea, there also could be a chance that she could have coccidiosis, and that can often cause a slow to empty crop, which is not sour crop. Can you take some droppings in to your local vet in the AM? Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched, not eating, and runny poops with mucus or sometimes blood. Corid (amprollium) from the feed store is a treatment for coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of powder Corid per gallon of water for 5 days.
Thank you. I have corid. Should I start treatment for that? And if so, I have to treat everyone, right? Is there an egg withdrawal period?

Since you have Corid, I would start it, since it has no ill effects, and there is no egg withdrawal time with it. I really hope she gets better soon. Usually with coccidiosis, they have no appetite. The yogurt would still be good to give her. And yes, you can treat all the birds.

89462385-16C6-4AC8-BCF9-DB0466D2B231.png
Since you have Corid, I would start it, since it has no ill effects, and there is no egg withdrawal time with it. I really hope she gets better soon. Usually with coccidiosis, they have no appetite. The yogurt would still be good to give her. And yes, you can treat all the birds.
Is this what I would have to get her?

Yes, that is Nystatin. Usually, a prescription is needed. I am not sure whether she has a sour crop now, or just a slow crop from possible coccidiosis. However, Nystatin is a good thing to keep around, but a bit pricey. And if it turns out, she has sour crop, it would be good to have.

Back
Top Bottom