Crop issue - pendulous, sour, partially obstructed? Where to start?

I would treat the sour crop, which may be from the pendulous crop. And use a crop bra to support the crop to help it empty. If you can get it emptying more normally, then hopefully the sour crop will resolve. Pendulous crop usually is a permanent condition, so if the bra works, you will likely have to use it for the rest of her life. When using a crop bra you will need to start with it somewhat looser than it's final position, you don't want to push so hard on the crop that you force things back up. If the crop is very large, then you tighten it up just enough to hold it up some, but not force things. As it slowly goes down (hopefully) you will need to readjust for that. It may take many adjustments to get it fitting right once the crop has normalized some. I had more luck with the straps going accross the belly and breast horizontally rather than up and down in line with the body (hope that makes sense). When they ran up and down I had issues with legs getting hung up in the bottom of the bra. Some of them think the pressure from the bra is something in front of them that they need to step over, so they high step and get hung up. So it may take some experimenting to make it work for your bird correctly, do what works. it's also necessary to check it regularly, make sure no mites or lice move in underneath, and that it isn't causing any irritation anywhere. I also wrapped the straps in co wrap once it was fitted and adjusted correctly, which helped keep others from pecking at them, you can see that sticking up on her back in the picture below. And it may take some time for her to get used to it. She may walk backward or even fall over. Picture of one of my hens that spent the last few years of her life in a crop bra. She always ate like a pig and stuffed her crop, which may be why it became pendulous.
View attachment 3507654
Is there any way you could post a sketch or a pic of the placement ("horizontal") of the crop bra? Your description on chicken behavior and entanglement fits my bird to a T! I've tried mine criss-crossed on top of the back, and also the same way but with the lower straps going along the inside of the legs first. She has a horrible time with both!

I would treat the sour crop, which may be from the pendulous crop. And use a crop bra to support the crop to help it empty. If you can get it emptying more normally, then hopefully the sour crop will resolve. Pendulous crop usually is a permanent condition, so if the bra works, you will likely have to use it for the rest of her life. When using a crop bra you will need to start with it somewhat looser than it's final position, you don't want to push so hard on the crop that you force things back up. If the crop is very large, then you tighten it up just enough to hold it up some, but not force things. As it slowly goes down (hopefully) you will need to readjust for that. It may take many adjustments to get it fitting right once the crop has normalized some. I had more luck with the straps going accross the belly and breast horizontally rather than up and down in line with the body (hope that makes sense). When they ran up and down I had issues with legs getting hung up in the bottom of the bra. Some of them think the pressure from the bra is something in front of them that they need to step over, so they high step and get hung up. So it may take some experimenting to make it work for your bird correctly, do what works. it's also necessary to check it regularly, make sure no mites or lice move in underneath, and that it isn't causing any irritation anywhere. I also wrapped the straps in co wrap once it was fitted and adjusted correctly, which helped keep others from pecking at them, you can see that sticking up on her back in the picture below. And it may take some time for her to get used to it. She may walk backward or even fall over. Picture of one of my hens that spent the last few years of her life in a crop bra. She always ate like a pig and stuffed her crop, which may be why it became pendulous.
View attachment 3507654
Or maybe you mean that you just bring up the top straps back and tied together (i.e., tied close to behind the neck), and then the lower straps the same way (tied more towards the mid-low back)?

Picture marked below, hopefully that makes it clearer. I found running the straps the other way caused gapping which the legs could get caught in. Running them this way, the back strap could be tightened enough against the keel to prevent any gapping. And the front strap can be slowly tightened to adjust for a full crop, and adjusted as it slowly returns to a more normal size. The front straps go just in front of the wing shoulders, and the rear is behind them. The extra straps I then wrapped together in the middle of the back so they weren't flopping around and attracting attention from the others. I used black co wrap, since it was a black bird, so it would not show up much. Hope that helps.
cropbrainked.jpg

View attachment 3507654
Did you make your crop bra? I was wondering the how big the chest part should be.
View attachment 3507654
Did you make the crop bra? I just made one for my girl & I may have gotten it a little too big. What size should the front be? Oh my does she ever walk backwards when I first put it on her. She is slowly getting use to it. I feel like I may have made it too big??

Attachments

• 20230823_195953.jpg
    20230823_195953.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 9
After experimenting, I ended up with a 5" by 5" square, that's what worked best for me. Big enough to support the crop, without rubbing on wings or anything else. Your's does look a little large.

Back
Top Bottom