Crop issue

She has not laid an egg for awhile. She’s an Easter Egger and we have another one that lays the same color blue egg so it’s been kind of hard to tell but we don’t think she’s passed an egg but she’s not pumping her tail or straining or doing some of the other things that I have seen described. She has had one warm bath and tolerated that pretty well. We did that early on and haven’t tried it for a couple of days. She’s quiet and not moving much because she’s in a dog crate but I wouldn’t call her lethargic

I think I would let her out of the crate and see if she will move about some.
Some hens if they are confined to close quarters will just sit and wait. See what she does with a bit of freedom.

I think I would let her out of the crate and see if she will move about some.
Some hens if they are confined to close quarters will just sit and wait. See what she does with a bit of freedom.
That’s actually what I was thinking. She’s had everything including another bath so at this point maybe she just needs to walk. She definitely seems like she’s waiting on something!

So, it’s been several days and the crop is no longer the obvious problem. Crop is emptying and she’s pooping a little. She’s drinking and eating very little and we’ve taken her outside to walk around a bit but she appears to get tired and doesn’t want to even stand. Someone had posted about reproductive issues somewhere? It’s been at least 7-10 days since she’s laid an egg. Maybe more. Im not sure there’s anything else to do. She was by far the feistiest chicken. You could never catch her much less pet her before 🥲

So, it’s been several days and the crop is no longer the obvious problem. Crop is emptying and she’s pooping a little. She’s drinking and eating very little and we’ve taken her outside to walk around a bit but she appears to get tired and doesn’t want to even stand. Someone had posted about reproductive issues somewhere? It’s been at least 7-10 days since she’s laid an egg. Maybe more. Im not sure there’s anything else to do. She was by far the feistiest chicken. You could never catch her much less pet her before 🥲
I had an australorp with sour crop as well gave her Greek yogurt along with the vaginal yeast infection cream and 3 to 4 days later started giving her her feed by that time her crop was flat but I still had to give her the cream twice a day for seven days. And she didn’t lay but now she’s back to laying like normal it’s been like two months.

It sounds like she may have a blockage.
Often there is an underlying condition like a reproductive issue that is causing the crop to not empty. Have you felt for an egg or can you tell if her abdomen is swollen or bloated?

I'm sorry to hear she's not improving.
It's possible with her not laying eggs that she is having reproductive issues which can be common in laying hens.
Sometimes the best we can do is see that they are eating/drinking, that their crop is emptying, keep lice/mites and worms under control and make them comfortable. Some birds will slowly seem to get better with supportive care while others decline. You take it day by day and access how they are doing.

Back
Top Bottom