Crop issue.

tcstoehr

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Canby, Oregon
I have a 14-month old Barred Rock that laid an egg this morning and nothing seemed out of the normal.
Later in the day I fed my five chickens some left over steamed rice. The BR didn't eat any of it, which is very unusual. She's usually first in line for food. Later in the day I offered them some raw almond bits and she again seemed disinterested, very strange.
Now late in the afternoon she is lethargic and sitting down here and there, although she will move from place to place.
She is drinking lots of water.
Normally I could never pick her up but now I was able to get my hands around her and feel her crop. It felt like there was a small balloon in there. Something that is not there on my other chickens. Definitely something bulging in there, and soft enough to push around. No hardness at all. Almost like a gas or liquid filled bladder of some sort.
Below is a picture if it is of any use.

These are my first chickens and my first experience with a malady. I have no idea what's going on.

Update: I just when to check on her. My hens free-range but have a secure run I can use when I want. She has been hanging around in there where there's a water bucket. But now she has gone into the coop and is way up on her usual roosting spot. This is a couple of hours before dusk. None of my chickens has ever done this before. I don't know if this is a good sign or bad.

Back
Top Bottom