Crop surgery recovery time?

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
My chicken had crop surgery on Friday at the vet. How long until she recovers? It's still little swollen but looks like it's healing.

Mostly large pieces of kale, scratch and feed. (This one tends to swallow things whole, if not stopped in time) There was no foreign objects. It was very large and hard before the surgery.

Now it feels normal but tender. It does bulge out somewhat. I assume this is swelling.
Her stitches seem to be healing well. She's somewhat lethargic but acting pretty normal considering just having major surgery.

How long before the swelling goes down? When should I expect her to fully recover? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Does anyone know how long it take for it to stop swelling? Her crop is now a soft bulge. It does seem to go down quite a bit overnight. She's also still pooping loose stools. Is this from the inflammation? When should she recover from surgery?

I know this is an old thread but I am dealing with crop surgery recovery now. It was done yesterday (Monday) and she is acting like she is starving! I am feeding yogurt and scrambled eggs, tried boiled and Vitamix blended carrots (which she did not like) but I am wondering what else I can give her for while she is recovering. I'm told nothing fibrous or hard to digest, but would 24 hr soaked layer crumbles be ok? She laid an egg today and I'm worried about her calcium intake.
Also, her poops are watery but have some white (urates?) and green so not sure where that is coming from. I just worry she is not getting enough nutrition but I do not want to go too fast either. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Does anyone know how long it take for it to stop swelling? Her crop is now a soft bulge. It does seem to go down quite a bit overnight. She's also still pooping loose stools. Is this from the inflammation? When should she recover from surgery?
Make sure you are giving soft foods yogurt and eggs so that it doesnt cause to much swelling

Yogurt and eggs are soft, right? Is there anything else I can give? And yeah, I am not sure if she was swollen today or her crop just had a bit of food in it. I took out her water tonight so I can get a good feel in the morning.
Yeah kinda of watch her crop so it doesnt get to full. But so you dont starve her for atleast the first week I can think of some foods like....

From what I am reading and what I remember is any kind of egg so scrambled, sunny side up, just yolk, and yogurt plus water and after day 3 you can give soft crumble food with water. But make sure that crop isnt get to big. Limit her food is very important but after 2 weeks you can give her regular feed but monitor for the first month that her crop is actually emptying

From what I am reading and what I remember is any kind of egg so scrambled, sunny side up, just yolk, and yogurt plus water and after day 3 you can give soft crumble food with water. But make sure that crop isnt get to big. Limit her food is very important but after 2 weeks you can give her regular feed but monitor for the first month that her crop is actually emptying
I gave her 4 meals today, each contained 1 scrambled egg with a tablespoon of yogurt. She never ate the carrots. By the end of the night I was worried it may have been too much with the size of her crop. I'll assess in the morning and recheck incisions etc. Thank you, I was worried about what to feed, how much and for how long. I need to continue this for 2 weeks? That would mean she would be inside for that long and I'm fearful of boredom and reintegration with being away from the flock for 3 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom