Crop surgery recovery time?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DianeB, Dec 13, 2015.

1. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    My chicken had crop surgery on Friday at the vet. How long until she recovers? It's still little swollen but looks like it's healing.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

What did the vet remove from her crop?

-Kathy

3. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Mostly large pieces of kale, scratch and feed. (This one tends to swallow things whole, if not stopped in time) There was no foreign objects. It was very large and hard before the surgery.

Now it feels normal but tender. It does bulge out somewhat. I assume this is swelling.
    Her stitches seem to be healing well. She's somewhat lethargic but acting pretty normal considering just having major surgery.

How long before the swelling goes down? When should I expect her to fully recover? Is there anything I should watch out for?

4. DianeB

Mar 12, 2009
    Does anyone know how long it take for it to stop swelling? Her crop is now a soft bulge. It does seem to go down quite a bit overnight. She's also still pooping loose stools. Is this from the inflammation? When should she recover from surgery?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by