Stablecoop

Songster
May 26, 2020
Eastern Massachusetts
Hi all! I am a new member and new to raising chickens. We have a sweet flock of 19 layers who are about 6 weeks old. Our sweet lavender Americana has a pretty bad Cross beak. We successfully trimmed her beak last week. She eats and drinks on her own, and holds her own (and then some!) with her flock mates. The problem is that when she drinks, her neck and front get all wet. We are worried that because she has a perpetually wet neck she will develop skin issues. We have tried nipple drinkers but she can’t aim well enough to be successful. Is my worry undue? Is it a non issue? Any tips for care or helping her stay dry? Thanks for any advice!!

Hi all! I am a new member and new to raising chickens. We have a sweet flock of 19 layers who are about 6 weeks old. Our sweet lavender Americana has a pretty bad Cross beak. We successfully trimmed her beak last week. She eats and drinks on her own, and holds her own (and then some!) with her flock mates. The problem is that when she drinks, her neck and front get all wet. We are worried that because she has a perpetually wet neck she will develop skin issues. We have tried nipple drinkers but she can’t aim well enough to be successful. Is my worry undue? Is it a non issue? Any tips for care or helping her stay dry? Thanks for any advice!!
I have just had to have my ten week old Marmalade put to rest as she developed what I thought was cross beak at four weeks old. Turns out it was a broken jaw. She couldn’t grow and got weak. So sad. I have written a review. I would say to get urs checked out by vet asap so you can ensure it’s not a broke Jaw. I hope she will be okay x

Thank you for sharing your story and experience with me. I am so sorry about your little Marmalade. She was very lucky to have you. Our little girl started developing her cross beak at maybe two weeks and it was progressive. Started with just a slight misaligned beak and gradually got worse. We trim her beak every week and try to feed her alone, which she doesn’t prefer (she eats just not as efficiently as the others and needs to be in the company of her flock to chow down) and is growing, just at a much slower rate. We’ve got deep feeders for her but it just takes her more time. She refuses to eat wet food hahaha. The girl knows what she likes. She has found a solution for being wet too. She cozies up to her friends and nestles under their wings. Hopefully it will continue working out!! Thank you again for your help, advice, and sharing your story.

Back
Top Bottom