Cross beak surgery

NCChickie

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 28, 2012
Fayetteville NC
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes..... I have a cross beak Easter Egger. It wasn't bad at first but as she grew it got worse and worse. I took her to the vet to have her beak trimmed several weeks ago and again several days ago. I tried but I was afraid I would dremal her toungue. Surgery was an option..... My vet has done several of these surgeries on parrots so I decided to "go fo it". No, we don't have money to burn but I wasn't going to put her down or let her starve to death and the surgery costs only $98.00 They inserted a metal rod into her cranium underneath her eye sockets and placed a wire into the jaw bone to apply presure to realign the jaw. The metal rod will have to be in place for a week or so. Here are before and after photos:

I have a chick with crossbeak and I'm considering this surgery. Can you let us know how it went for your girl? I know it's been years but just want to try for an opinion from someone who has seen the benefits and risks.

Ho
I'm not sure if this is the right section but here goes..... I have a cross beak Easter Egger. It wasn't bad at first but as she grew it got worse and worse. I took her to the vet to have her beak trimmed several weeks ago and again several days ago. I tried but I was afraid I would dremal her toungue. Surgery was an option..... My vet has done several of these surgeries on parrots so I decided to "go fo it". No, we don't have money to burn but I wasn't going to put her down or let her starve to death and the surgery costs only $98.00 They inserted a metal rod into her cranium underneath her eye sockets and placed a wire into the jaw bone to apply presure to realign the jaw. The metal rod will have to be in place for a week or so. Here are before and after photos:

How did it go?

I hope you are still on here. How old was your gal when this was done and what vet did this? I am in Gaston NC near Roanoke Rapids and see you are in Fayetteville. I would drive 130 miles and pay $98 to have this brace if it will help her beak align right. I have tried everything with my girl to help her. Please let me know.

I hope you are still on here. How old was your gal when this was done and what vet did this? I am in Gaston NC near Roanoke Rapids and see you are in Fayetteville. I would drive 130 miles and pay $98 to have this brace if it will help her beak align right. I have tried everything with my girl to help her. Please let me know.
Welcome To BYC @tinamiller1
This thread is from 2013 and the OP has not been active since 2014. It's unlikely they will see your question and respond to you.

Do an onsite search for caring for Crossbeak, there's many members that have raised and cared for birds with deformities. Most thrive, but sadly some do succumb to developmental issues.
Hopefully you can find some threads that will give you some answers you are seeking.

Back
Top Bottom