Cross breed chicken Questions

I am in The Republic of Texas

Good to know :thumbsup

what about this no tail feathered thing?

That is a pullet. She was sold as a Marans as well? She has some leg feathering, but very light and not down to the toes, at least as far as I can see in those pictures.

that second birdie has not tail feathers lol and not sure what it is as far a breed ...there is another that has the same comb and waddles but it has the marans copper neck feathers , this one has none of that and no tail feathers.

Black Copper Marans pullets sometimes don't get their copper neck feathers until later. If she's supposed to be a Marans, she likely will have copper neck feathering show up when she's closer to maturity. The tail feathers likely are also just delayed. I noticed that happening a lot in my Black Copper Marans, some would just be tailless for the longest time.

How is the leg feathering on the other pullet? Is it sparse on her as well?

Between all of this information, I think it is possible that these are pure Marans, simply ones from a line poorly selected for leg feathering.

Good to know :thumbsup

That is a pullet. She was sold as a Marans as well? She has some leg feathering, but very light and not down to the toes, at least as far as I can see in those pictures.

They called them black copper marans and something else that i cant remember. BUT also that the hens and rooster are all in the same flock and there are RIR and barred rock and several other in the flock.
Black Copper Marans pullets sometimes don't get their copper neck feathers until later. If she's supposed to be a Marans, she likely will have copper neck feathering show up when she's closer to maturity. The tail feathers likely are also just delayed. I noticed that happening a lot in my Black Copper Marans, some would just be tailless for the longest time.

How is the leg feathering on the other pullet? Is it sparse on her as well?
I didnt notice any leg feathering on any of them
Between all of this information, I think it is possible that these are pure Marans, simply ones from a line poorly selected for leg feathering.
very unlikely. based on how they are kept., BUT i just want egg layers mostly so ..

Oh. Well, that changes some things.

With a Barred Rock parent, I would expect any males to be barred, and females would be barred if the father was a Barred Rock, so only the pullets could possibly have a Barred Rock mother.

Rhode Island Reds I would expect to impart more red coloring in the offspring, so I don't think any you've posted pictures of could have a Rhode Island Red parent.

But if they're running together with other breeds, then yes, it's quite possible they are mixes of some sort. The coloring of Black Copper Marans is dominant over a lot of other colorations, so it's hard to say what exactly they could be mixed with without knowing the other possibilities, unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom