Cross Breeding Cream Legbar rooster & French Black Copper Maran hen for GREEN eggs?

Anyone out there ever crossed a Cream Legbar rooster to a French Black Copper Maran hen?

• Any

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Any

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 5, 2017
Found this cool egg on Pinterest. A Cream Legbar rooster to a French Black Copper Marans hen. Anyone out there ever bred these two birds together? And if so, did you get the same color egg? I think this one in the picture posted is really nice.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987053749295/?lp=true

Attachments

• GREEN EGGS2.jpg
    GREEN EGGS2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 579
Found this cool egg on Pinterest. A Cream Legbar rooster to a French Black Copper Marans hen. Anyone out there ever bred these two birds together? And if so, did you get the same color egg? I think this one in the picture posted is really nice.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5136987053749295/?lp=true
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Lots of people have bred that cross I'm sure. :)

You can only guess on your first generation crosses really in my experience/opinion.

Also without knowing what shade their Legbar or Marans were throwing, hard to say. Some people get average brown eggs (say a 2 verses 5 on the Marans scale). From a first gen cross between Am/BCM I got one gal who laid darker brown than the pure BCM! And another who laid average colored olive eggs as an Easter Egger from the feed store. :barnie But I don't know how the influence of color from a different breed will be if their are other genetic factors that will influence things differently.

These links may help or just confuse you more...
https://www2.palomar.edu/anthro/mendel/mendel_2.htm

I love this plug in calculator... but it takes some figuring out...
http://kippenjungle.nl/breeds/crossbreeds.html

Here is another chart that you may have already seen but if not it's pretty cool...
027ca0c2101e3f9f5cae55b127fbc311.jpg

Raising chickens has made genetics learning so much fun for me! :pop

I should say also, that I am planning on breeding my resulting pullets back to Papa for the possibility of an even deeper green egg.
We grew out 8 of these CLB x BCM Olive Eggers. We kept the one that we though was the best and gave the rest away to friends that most were destroyed by predators in the first 3 months. My wife can't help herself and put two of the olive eggs in the incubator last month. We got two pullets to hatch that both had the auto sexing chipmunk pattern. We have a Legbar breeder come but and buy them both off of us. I am guessing that if we put any more in we won't be lucky enough to get 100% wild type pullets. I am interested in seeing the dull Spearmint egg though so I may have to put some more eggs in.

What I get most of when crossing FBCM to my green eggers is a dark olive egg.
Now, I have an EE hen that lays green eggs, I put her with an EE rooster from a green egg. Only 1 pullet laid a green egg, the others, pink, brown, light blue, and olive. This rooster is silver splash with pink legs.

We grew out 8 of these CLB x BCM Olive Eggers. We kept the one that we though was the best and gave the rest away to friends that most were destroyed by predators in the first 3 months. My wife can't help herself and put two of the olive eggs in the incubator last month. We got two pullets to hatch that both had the auto sexing chipmunk pattern. We have a Legbar breeder come but and buy them both off of us. I am guessing that if we put any more in we won't be lucky enough to get 100% wild type pullets. I am interested in seeing the dull Spearmint egg though so I may have to put some more eggs in.
will the same hen and rooster together every time produce offspring that make the same color?

These are eggs from a 2 year old hen that had a Legbar sire and Black Copper Marans Dame. There is a Marans egg and a Legbar egg for comparison.View attachment 1303987

And here is what the Sire, Dame, and female offspring look like from that cross
View attachment 1303985
@GaryDean26 My cross of these birds was the other way around with a BCM roo and a CCL hen, and my pullets are pure black, not barred like yours. The cocks from this cross are barred but have not feathered out fully yet. Is the plumage affected by who the sire is vs. the dame because I sure would like a pullet that is the same coloration as yours! Thanks for any input!

Back
Top Bottom