Cross-Contamination in Baby Chicks

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So DHs friend asked him to check on his chickens tonight as they are out of town. He went over and checked their food & water, did a head count, and collected eggs. When he came back, my son called him over to the brooder as he was holding one of the babies and giving her wet mash. DH took a chunk of mash and fed it to one of the chicks. I walked in and immediately took the rest of the mash from his hand and told him to please wash up as he was just with another flock and I didn’t want the babies to get sick. He laughed and told me I worry too much, but did go wash his hands. Should I worry? Could our little one who ate out of his hand (literally about a second), get sick? I am super nervous and careful just like these little ones are my kids...please tell me the truth so I know what to watch for. Thank you.

Last edited:
Since he wasn't handling the birds directly, it should be fine. Of course, handwashing is a must no matter what. But his shoes pose the only real threat - make sure he cleans those up. You don't want to track in the poo of someone else's flock, then walk around in your own flock's yard - that's true cross contamination, if anything of concern was present.

Since he wasn't handling the birds directly, it should be fine. Of course, handwashing is a must no matter what. But his shoes pose the only real threat - make sure he cleans those up. You don't want to track in the poo of someone else's flock, then walk around in your own flock's yard - that's true cross contamination, if anything of concern was present.
Ok awesome thank you. That makes me feel a lot better. Also very good to know about the shoes. I love BYC so much, everyone is awesome! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom