cross posted from wrong forum: ID this pullet please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by thegreypony, Jan 8, 2013.

1. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

I answered an add on craigslist last week as I was looking to add 3 birds to our flock. The gentleman orders his babies 1 day old from Meyers - had a variety of babies, various ages - and then sells the babies to folks in town who can't do a whole order. I really wanted older birds and asked if he by chance had any and he had RIR, GLW, and something called a Golden Buff. I got really excited over the GLWs as those are the birds I have who are morphing into old lady pet status. I arrived at his home expecting to see GLWs but when I got there, what he showed me as GLWs look NOTHING like GLWs in color. The body type is correct, the comb is correct, the temperament is dead on. He insisted that the birds were GLW from Meyers - I just agreed, paid for the birds and left. Now I'm trying to figure out what I've got. FWIW I really like the birds as they are healthy and calm and hopefully will lay well (they are about 7 mos. old). We just keep laying birds - no breeding or anything - so my question is simply academic. Based on the Meyer site, these look to be BLRW.

This is a link to a photo of one of the new girls: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...796428069995.188027.1274773705&type=1&theater

Hopefully the link will work.

2. chickbythebay

chickbythebay Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2012
    Gulf Breeze Florida
    Link doesn't work for me.

3. thegreypony

thegreypony Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

this is the bird in question. I've got 3 of them and they all look the same with one's head not being quite as dark.

4. kristip

kristip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    New Glarus
    This looks like a poorly colored blue laced red wyandotte. Same family, different colors.

5. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

that's a hatchery blue laced red wyandotte.

6. greeneacre

greeneacre Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Garner, nc
    Looks like a splash BLRW, can't discuss quality unless we see a larger picture. Could be a nice splash hen.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    pic is small. it is a wyandotte and does look like a blue laced red or a blue laced splash red again pic is to small to really tell.

make sure that the album the pics are in is set to public view

8. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Does look like a splash BLRW. Here's my black one, he's a rooster...
    [​IMG]

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Looks like a splash laced to me. I agree a better pic would help. My understanding is splash is a double dilute of black, blue is the single dilute. So, your girls are indeed wyandottes with all those good traits, just different color. If bred to a regular gold laced, you'll get blue laced chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by