Crossbeak / scissor beak chick šŸ£

Awww!ā¤ļø My crossbeaks need me to crush the meal worms into pieces for them to be able to eat them.šŸ˜‚
I honestly expected Auggie's beak to get worse, but it hasn't yet. Just last week he did chip a sliver from the entire side of his beak but it hasn't slowed him down a bit. That made me want to file it down some but he is going through his first annual molt and I really hate to wrap him up in a towel because I feel like that might be painful. Once his molt is complete, I'm thinking about filing it, depending on how it looks. It seems like it may have been you that posted on my thread a while back about crossbeaks and mentioned filing maintenance. Thank you again for that. I believe that is in my near future

I honestly expected Auggie's beak to get worse, but it hasn't yet. Just last week he did chip a sliver from the entire side of his beak but it hasn't slowed him down a bit. That made me want to file it down some but he is going through his first annual molt and I really hate to wrap him up in a towel because I feel like that might be painful. Once his molt is complete, I'm thinking about filing it, depending on how it looks. It seems like it may have been you that posted on my thread a while back about crossbeaks and mentioned filing maintenance. Thank you again for that. I believe that is in my near future
Thatā€™s great! My oldest pulletā€™s beak has actually gotten better and isnā€™t quite as crossed. Yeah I would probably wait too.šŸ˜‰ Youā€™re welcome! Iā€™m glad to have helped!ā¤ļø Hope it all goes well!

I decided to cull the 2 chicks, 3 weeks old. I don't know if male or female but I can't use for breeding anyway and if male would most likely cull later. I didn't want to wait to see if they would get lots worse and unable to eat and drink properly and suffer. I ended their little lives with a quick decapitation with my hands, instant death. RIP. šŸ˜ž
IMG_20211025_140024.jpg IMG_20211025_140837.jpg

I have three pullets with crossbeak! I was told that it would likely worsen until they reached about 3 months (because this is when they are most the way done growing). Iā€™m not sure if mine would be considered severe or not, but each of theirs is different. I think Shelly has it the worst (pictured below). They should not be used for breeding seeing as they can pass it on to their offspring. What I do for them is trim (if needed), feed crumbles, and use dip beak waterers. They are all doing great and the oldest one is a polish who is almost a year old! The other two are even bigger than their ā€œsiblingsā€ of the same age! As long as they are able to eat and drink on their own they should be fine.
Shelly-
View attachment 2877214
aw she is so cute!! I have a crossbeak chicken named Thin Mint (showed in my avatar) and she is just the sweetest! No one messes with her because she's so sassy, shes the lead hen =))

aw she is so cute!! I have a crossbeak chicken named Thin Mint (showed in my avatar) and she is just the sweetest! No one messes with her because she's so sassy, shes the lead hen =))
My favorite silkie was a crossbeak (severe). We fed him separately with an adaptive bowl. He was just the sweetest. He was growing and holding his own in the pack. Unfortunately we lost him to a stray dog who roamed into our yard. I will never forget ā€œScissie.ā€

My favorite silkie was a crossbeak (severe). We fed him separately with an adaptive bowl. He was just the sweetest. He was growing and holding his own in the pack. Unfortunately we lost him to a stray dog who roamed into our yard. I will never forget ā€œScissie.ā€
Aww, I'm so sorry for your loss <3. He sounded wonderful. Did you ever give him oatmeal? Crossbeaks love it because it sticks to their beak so they can eat it better.

Back
Top Bottom