Crossbreeding dual purpose breeds for sustainable flock

Pics
When breeding the crele, "black patterned gold duckwing barred", to each other the offspring start to breed true to that color. Does that mean I'd end up with autosexing chicks?

When breeding the crele, "black patterned gold duckwing barred", to each other the offspring start to breed true to that color. Does that mean I'd end up with autosexing chicks?

Yes.

If you want clear, easy autosexing you will have to do some selection, but yes that is the basic genetic recipe for autosexing (like in Cream Legbars and Bielefelders.)

Ok this first one is the one with the bum leg. Also has a crooked tail but that might be from it favoring the leg so much. Either way it isn't a keeper.

This is the all white hen that I'm not sure what breed she is. Yellow legs. One of the smaller ones.

Here I managed to get the brahmas so you can see the backs pretty good. Most are buff columbian but a few are the pencilled/laced? I think pencilled but let me know.

Close up of the all black tail one.

Best I could get of the barred tail one.

Also please excuse the bare dirt mess. It was not the plan. I am mostly done with the chickshaw. Tomorrow I frame the roof and start putting the siding on. Dad is doing stuff tomorrow and is going to check some re-stores for wheelchair wheels or wheels. I also have some odds and ends to look at here to see if they could work temporarily. I'll be darn happy to have the chickens into that and moved!

I am doing one alteration from the plans as well with the nests. Plan calls for 3 milk crates. Well those are $13+ each... I found these plywood nests for $11 and got three of them. In building I realized I can space them out and get 5 nests just putting a bottom board between the nests. So my chickshaw will have 5 nests. Just had to alter a smidge. I also was not buying a sheet of plywood for one measly door so I made one from scraps.
I'm soooooo ready for it to be done!

Ok this first one is the one with the bum leg. Also has a crooked tail but that might be from it favoring the leg so much. Either way it isn't a keeper.

This is the all white hen that I'm not sure what breed she is. Yellow legs. One of the smaller ones.

Here I managed to get the brahmas so you can see the backs pretty good. Most are buff columbian but a few are the pencilled/laced? I think pencilled but let me know.

Close up of the all black tail one.

Best I could get of the barred tail one.
The black and white ones are all cockerels. Two of them are Delawares and one is a columbian wyandotte. Can you get a picture of the solid white pullet’s comb?

The black and white ones are all cockerels. Two of them are Delawares and one is a columbian wyandotte. Can you get a picture of the solid white pullet’s comb?
Argh! Good to know though!
The white is a skittish one, I'll try to nab it and get a good close up of the comb.

Also, the very dark brown one, in the second to last picture, it has a small comb and I'm quite sure it's a pullet... But is that real dark brown with black/darker barring a partridge barred? That one is thee most skittish and I'm surprised she wasn't just a blur skittering off lol.

Argh! Good to know though!
The white is a skittish one, I'll try to nab it and get a good close up of the comb.

Also, the very dark brown one, in the second to last picture, it has a small comb and I'm quite sure it's a pullet... But is that real dark brown with black/darker barring a partridge barred? That one is thee most skittish and I'm surprised she wasn't just a blur skittering off lol.
She’s just partridge. Though partridge can show stripes like barring, notice that she doesn’t have any white stripes in her feathers. Barring is white, not black.

I am doing an experiment on hybrid vigor with Bresse bred with other heritage birds. My two Dark Cornish chickens, now going on month four started crowing, so I had to catch them to put on a no crow collar. I live in a residential area and I don't want to make my neighbors upset. However, the Dark Cornish rooster's crow aren't as loud and annoying as my Bresse rooster. Anyway, I was surprised that they had a decent amount of meat on them. In addition, I was impressed with my white Plymouth Rock pullets, they are the same age and started laying large eggs before my hybrid Bresse/Australorp pullets. I just put 6 eggs from the Dark Cornish Rooster/White Plymouth Rock pullet in the incubator. I will pair the chicks from this to my Bresse Rooster/Australorp hen cross..

I personally think the Dark Cornish is the Emperor of the meat chicken world. They are magnificent birds. I think the white Plymouth Rock has recessive white color genes, so the chicks should turn out white. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_white_(chicken_plumage)
I know this is off topic, not trying to hijack the thread, but could you tell me your experience with no crow collars? There’s a lot of strong opinions out there, just trying to get more information. I have a cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet that I am thinking of keeping, but don’t want the neighbors to start complaining. Is there a brand of collar you prefer?

I know this is off topic, not trying to hijack the thread, but could you tell me your experience with no crow collars? There’s a lot of strong opinions out there, just trying to get more information. I have a cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet that I am thinking of keeping, but don’t want the neighbors to start complaining. Is there a brand of collar you prefer?
I used 2 inch wide velcro wrap tape from ebay and cut it 7 inch long and cut it again down the middle into one inch strips for young roosters. I put it on snug and let them get used to it before I make the adjustment. I had two Breese roosters from a specific farm die from wearing them, this line cannot wear no crow collars, their neck skin is too thick. I have another Breese line that can wear them tight with no problems. I make it so I can hardly hear them crowing in the morning.

I mark the black velcro with white out on each adjustment, so I know where the sweet spot is. A 1/8 move up or down changes the sound and pitch when you are in the sweet spot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom